Laurens x reader

Reader is a mermaid. John is a sailor. Gender neutral.
Y/n
A strange vessel came floating towards me. I tilted my head in curiosity, swimming towards the wooden item. Peeking into the boat, I observed a human being with long, curly, brown hair, freckles, and green eyes. He was laying on his back, hands resting on his stomach.
"Woah," he exclaimed as I pulled myself onto the small boat, sitting next to him. My f/c tail was long enough to touch the water on the other side of the boat. "Are you... real?"
  I snorted and rolled my eyes. "No, mate, I'm just a dream. Of course I'm real," I scoffed, crossing my arms. The man held up his hands.
"Sorry, sorry. So, what are you doing on my boat," he questioned.
"Checking it out," I noticed freckles on his arm and pulled his sleeve up the rest of the way. " Y/n."
"John. John Laurens," he introduced himself in a confused manner, watching as I traced the freckles.
"Do you have more?" I asked, staring at the many dots on his skin.
"More what?" John asked, confused.
"Freckles."
"Um, yes?"
"Where are they?"
"Everywhere?"
  I unbuttoned his shirt, causing him to blush. After cocking my eyebrow at him, my gaze returned to his freckles. My fingers touched each and every one of them. As I made patterns on his chest, John and I began talking about ourselves. Soon, we were good friends.
"Can I... can I braid your hair," John asked hesitantly. I blushed and nodded.

"I brought you something," I sang, swimming next to his boat. John smiled and leaned over the edge.
"What is it?" he asked.
"Food," I replied, handing him his supplies. John chuckled and kissed my forehead.
"Thanks," he beamed.

"Y/n! Y/n!" I heard John screaming for me. I turned only to find him floating away from me. A wave crushed his boat and forced him underwater.
"John!" I cried out, diving under water and searching for him. Finally, I found him. He was sinking deeper and deeper. His eyes were closed, signifying his unconsciousness. I grabbed him and looked around for the boat. Upon discovering that it was gone, I realized I had to get John to the nearest shore possible if I wanted him to live.

I watched as another human helped John up, patting his back and supporting his weight. The man had black hair pulled back in a ponytail and was called Alexander.
  I hid behind a pole that held up one of the many docks, waiting for John to come back. Realizing that that might've been the last time I would see him, sadness flooded me.
"Y/n? You out there," I heard a soft voice call out. John. I saw his freckled legs dangling from the dock and I pulled myself up, landing in between his legs.
"John," I smiled, sitting on his lap. He smiled back and connected our lips.
"I love you."
"I love you too."