Dolls - Jared X Evan

"Look what I found!" Jared barged into the living room, holding a plastic bag.

    "Please tell me you didn't buy that snake you've been talking about." Evan lifted his feet from the floor to the couch where he was sitting.

    "No." Jared rolled his eyes. "Not yet."

    "Not ever!" Evan replied.

    "Yeah, yeah, whatever, we'll discuss it later." Jared waved his hand. "Anyway, back to the main event!" He reached into the bag to pull out a old, early 19th century doll.

    "Okay, you have my permission to get the snake, put that thing back." Evan sunk back into the couch.

    "No, I got it from a garage sale!" Jared pressed on excitedly. "The owners said that it's haunted!"

    "Are you trying to convince me to keep it, cause you're doing the complete opposite." Evan commented.

    "Well, obviously it's not haunted." Jared replied, setting the doll on their tv stand. "I just think that's it's an interesting find."

    "Yep, you found it, now put it back."

    "Come on, you have your bazillion plants, I have my slightly used, haunted doll." Jared argued.

    "Fine. But it's going in your office, I have no desire to look at that thing." Evan finally agreed, sighing.

     "Thank you." Jared gave Evan a quick kiss on the cheek before taking the doll and running down the hall to his office.

    That night Evan was awoken by the sound of tapping from downstairs.

    "Jared, did you leave the faucet on again?" Evan asked, nudging his husband.

    "No, I didn't even use the faucet today." Jared replied, half asleep.

    "Not even when I told you to water my plants?" Evan said, annoyed.

    The only answer he got was snoring.

    "Jared!"

    "What?" Jared whined.

    "Go see what that noise is!"

    "Ugh, fine."

    Jared begrudgingly peeled himself off of the mattress and began to head down the hall towards the stairs. Still, the tapping continued.

    As Jared drew closer, he noticed the sound certainly didn't sound like water in a sink. And he would know, he's gotten up countless times to turn off the faucet. No, this sounded more like something moving along their wood floors.

    "There better not be any fucking mice." Jared grumbled, descending down the stairs.

    Sure enough, when he reached the kitchen, he found the faucet to be turned off, forcing him to find the source of the tapping.

    As he moved on, he noticed the frequency of the tapping changed, sometimes it moved fast and hurrying, while other times it paused, as if hesitating.

    "Dammit, we're gonna have to get an exterminator." Jared muttered, heading towards the living room where he thought he heard the tapping coming from.

    However, as he reached the room, the noise halted. Thinking the mice might've heard him come down the hall, he slowly opened the door.

    In the middle of the room was the doll, sitting upright and staring at door.

   At Jared.

    Jared shut the door quickly, his heart racing in his chest.

    "Ha ha Evan, very funny." He began to head back to their room.

    "What?" Evan called.

    "You tried to scare me, but it won't work." Jared burst into the bedroom.

    Evan sat up in bed, a look of confusion on his face. "Jared, what are you talking about?"

    "The doll, you don't like it so you tried to scare me by putting it in the living room so that I would be freaked out enough to get rid of it, but it won't work." Jared replied smugly.

    Evan's face turned to a look of horror. "I didn't move the doll."

    "You had to it's-"

    Tap tap tap tap.

    The tapping started up again, along with the creaking of the living room door as it opened.

    "Please tell me this is a joke." Jared almost whispered.

    "I was just about to say the same thing." Evan climbed out of bed to stand near Jared. "What do we do?"

    "Don't we still have that baseball bat in the closet?" Jared asked, moving to rifle through the closet. Evan quickly locked their door.

    The tapping continued up the stairs, and finally down the hall.

    "Okay here it is." Jared pulled a large wooden baseball bat from the back of their closet.

    "Please be careful." Evan worried.

    The tapping stopped at their door. The door handle jiggled to the left, then to the right, then violently back and forth.

    Jared unlocked the door and threw it open, throwing the doll off balance. It got up quickly, but was met by Jared's bat. Jared swing down on the doll time after time, long after it had stopped moving, until the thing was merely bits and pieces.

    "Is it dead?" Evan whispered.

    "I think so." Jared panted.

    There was silence as the two stared at the shattered remains.

    "You're no longer allowed to bring stuff home from garage sales."

    "Fair enough."