Lipstick

Word count: 2614

— — —

Your brother had never had a problem with letting you hang out with him and his friends. By friends I mean the middle schoolers he had seemingly adopted at some point over the past year and his gay best friend/co worker. You seemed to get along well with everyone and they all seemed to like you too, and it wasn't as if you two had a dramatic sibling rivalry. Sure, you guys argued some times, but that's only expected of siblings.

"Hey, dingus, I know you don't work here but can you come help me?" Robin called after you. Your heart skipped a beat hearing her call you by that name. It wasn't even a positive nickname, and she called most people it anyway, but that fact that she called you that set loose butterflies in your stomach.
"Yeah, sure!" You said, running over. You watched as she lifted a box from the top of the pile and placed it next to you.
"Could you sort the videos from this box onto the shelves?" She asked with a small pout, almost as if she was expecting you to reject her. You nodded enthusiastically, taking a few at a time into your hands and sorting them onto the shelves in alphabetical order.
"Hey, rob!" Steve whisper shouted, creeping down the aisle til he reached you two. "Two cuties just entered aisle 3." After finding out about Robin's sexuality, your brother had done nothing but his best to try and set robin up with any ladies that entered the video store.
"Thanks for that, dingus. I'll go swoon them with my knowledge of the best blockbusters to buy." She retorted sarcastically.
"What, do you need help talking to them? Because I can help with that. Hey lad-!" Steve begun to call before robin clasped her hand over his mouth with such a force it almost sent the two of them tumbling over.
"Would you stop it with that already Steve Harrington!? I don't need any help, I'm perfectly capable of it myself. I know when I want to talk to someone who I may find attractive."
She turned to face you with the shake of her head. "(Y/N), I don't know how you've managed to put up with him for 17 long years of your life. I feel terrible for you." Steve opened his mouth in offence, and you let out a small giggle. "Every day is a struggle, trust me." You added, before you turned to look at the ladies leaving the store.
"See, now you missed an opportunity to get with someone who could have possibly been the one for you." Steve commented in a joking annoyance, walking away from the pair of you with a raise of his hands. Robin and you made eye contact, before bursting into hushed laughter. The melody of her sweet laughter again caused your heart to race, and you could feel your cheeks starting to burn a hot red. In a rush to hide the increasing colour in your cheeks, you crouched down and pretended to look for a letter on one of the bottom rows.
"Hey, so, uh, I was wondering..." Robin begun in a shy tone you had only ever heard her use when she first met you. She crouched down next to you, sitting cross legged on the floor, trying to find her words. "I was wondering if you wanted to watch a film at my place tonight. J- just you and me, not Steve or the kids." The shock of what she was asking you stunned you into silence as you looked at her, but your hesitation caused her to panic. "It's- it's totally okay if you don't want to! I didn't mean for it to sound like I was hitting on you, it- it doesn't have to be a date, I-"
"Do you want it to be a date?" You asked, the butterflies in your stomach now so violent you thought you might've taken flight any second. She shrugged.
"I don't know." She said shyly, looking down at her drawn on sneakers. You beamed at her.
"I'd love it more than anything." She glanced up at you behind her fallen hair, and you could've sworn you saw her cheeks turn a colour almost as red as her lips.

— — —

Nothing more was mentioned about it after that, nothing more than a time arrangement. No awkward flirty comments or hints that she liked you, everything just turned back into the average daily shop banter between your little trio.

Once steve dropped you home, you immediately ran to your bedroom to start getting ready. You showered, dried and curled your hair, did your makeup and used your best perfume. You dressed in your denim straight jeans, a multicoloured white striped shirt and a leather jacket. Running downstairs, you grabbed your stilettos, the ones you only ever wore on special occasions. "Woah woah woah, where do you think you're going dressed like that? And- oh my god is that perfume? Who is this girl and what have you done with my sister?" Sticking up your middle finger at him, you stood up, the heels on your shoes now making you almost eye level with him.
"I'm going out with.. some friends."
"Uh huh, yeah, and how are you getting there?"
"Walking."
"Not in those shoes you aren't." Steve said, turning his back and walking into the living room, picking up his car keys. Your heart raced.
"Steve, I really don't need you to drive me, I'll be fine walking." Robin's house was over a 30 minute walk, and you knew it would kill your feet in those heels, but you wanted to dress up. You considered slipping on your sneakers in hopes that Steve would leave you be, but he was already out the door before you could even get the idea across. You chased out the door after him, being careful not to trip in those heels.
"Come on looser, get in." He called out the window, and you rolled your eyes, getting in the passenger seat. You closed the door and put on your seatbelt, but after sitting for a few moments you noticed he hadn't started the car. You looked at him in confusion, wondering why he was hesitating. He looked back at you. "Where to, idiot?" He asked with a small chuckle. You nodded, your mouth mimicking an o shape and you paused. "Robin's house." You mumbled under your breath, scratching your neck.
"Come again?"
"I said Robin's house." You said, a little louder in hopes he'd understand, but all you received was a severe poke to the side, causing you to squeak and jolt away.
"I can't hear you dingbat, speak up."
"I said can you take me to Robin's house!" You said, now no longer mumbling and practically shouting. Steve pauses and looked at you in confusion.
"You guys are hanging out without me?" He said, in a tone that sounded like he was genuinely upset and confused. You felt a pang of guilt, and pursed your lips.
"You- you can come too if you like!" You added hastily, immediately regretting your offer as you remembered what robin had mentioned about it just being the two of you, no one else. It was nearly a date, after all.