Mairon's Fall Part One - Silmarillion One Shot

Mairon stood back and whipped his forehead with the back of his hand as he looked at his work. He held up a silver crown that had thin strings of silver wrapping around it. On different parts of the string was more string that wrapped around it. Spead around the silver crown were small leaves of pure silver. He sighed and put it down, it was a wonderful piece of work. It took him ages to make each part perfect but something was missing from the center. He just couldn't seem to figure out what will be perfect there.  

Mairon looked up as he heard the door open and saw Aulë walk in. "My lord," He said standing up straight. Well as straight as he could with the ache he got in his back for standing for so long. 

"What are you doing here this early?" Aulë asked. "With these bodies, we do need to make sure we sleep." 

"I assure you I am fine my lord," Mairon said waving it off and pushing some of his bright orange-red hair from his face. 

Aulë sighed he was quite used to Mairon staying in the forge for hours at end. He was filled with determination and had a natural talent for craftsmanship. "Alright. Let's see what you created this time?" Aulë said. 

"I was working on what you asked for actually. I am not done with it yet but here is what I have so far," Mairon said and held out the crown. "You said you wanted it to give it to Lady Yavanna." 

Aulë took the crown and looked at it. He smiled it was flawless as usual. "This is just fantastic Mairon and you did this in one night?" 

"Yes. It took me some time to get the sketch for how it should look done and I need to fix some of the leaves. I also plan on adding some jewel for the center...perhaps an emerald." Mairon said. 

 Aulë put the crown down and said, "You are by far the best smith I have here. You know...I have been thinking of taking a Maiar for my right hand and I am highly considering you for the task. With your talent, we can help make Arda a beautiful place when the elves and man awake." 

"Really?" Mairon asked his eyes lightening up with excitement. 

Aulë nodded and said, "Yes. However, you need to make sure to take care of yourself. You have talent beyond anything I have seen since...for a long time." He began his sentence with confidence but it ended a bit off. Mairon did not seem to notice he was much more focused on possibly becoming Aulë's right hand. 

"I will my lord," Mairon said. 

"Very good. Now go get some rest," Aulë said. Mairon nodded and took off his work apron and hung it on a peg by the door. He then hurried out of the room and Aulë sighed a bit. Perhaps he should have waited until late to tell him. He then shook his head and went about his business.

Mairon walked with pride and excitement. If he got chosen maybe he could help create Arda into a perfect place. He just needed to work hard and do his best of all bests. He stopped when a voice said, "You seem rather happy," 

Mairon turned to face Melkor who was leaning against a tree his black hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail that was tossed over one shoulder. Mairon frowned and glared a bit at him and he asked, "What are you doing here?" 

"Me? I am merely just walking around and admiring the different sculptures and works of at around here." Melkor said leaning his head to one side. "Now, could this excitement be from Aulë noticing how flawless your works are?"