ĆĦΔPŦ€Ř ØŇ€

In and out. A simple instruction to follow. Breath in, breath out. I crouched down in the ferns and tall grass, feeling the hoarse blades brush against my cheek.

Ahead of me I saw the target. A large herd animal with long, pronged horns, and a speckled brown hide. Breath in... breath out.

Slowly, I pulled my left shoulder back, whilst my right hand clasped the wooden handle of my bow. The arrow was notched, my stance low, and my breathing steady.

Breath in...

I released my hold on the arrow, letting it soar out from the underbrush. It penetrated the beast in the neck, causing it to let out a strangled grunt. For a moment, it stumbled and tried to escape, but it collapsed a meter away from where it was struck.

Crows cawed and scattered from the branches of trees as I stood up from my hiding place. Stretching, I stepped towards the fallen animal, feeling a little remorse for taking its life. I pulled my carving dagger out from the sheath on my belt, bending down to begin cleaning the carcass.

"Hagthos, God of the earth and forest, I thank you," I prayed as I worked on cutting the hide. "Thank you for providing me with this creature's life, for it will provide for me and sustain my body."

It was common practice to thank the Gods and Goddesses of the elements. There was seven total, four Gods and Three Goddesses. Of course, those legends have been nothing more than stories and myths passed down. I may be superstitious, but I think it's better to have respect for higher powers than not to.

By the time I was finished carving the meat, the sun was beginning to set. I gathered the resources and trekked through the darkening woods. The sun seeped through the canopy, painting the forest floor with streaks of orange. The black shadows from the trees made it look like a tiger pelt.

My home wasn't much of a house. It was secluded in the forest, and a twenty minute walk from Plyvard. The city surrounds a castle, where the duke and duchess of Plyvard kingdom reside. The city also was home to a large harbor, resulting in this being the biggest trading center in the continent.

However, I've never been one for cities. I began the process of curing the hide, and stored the meat I had in an underground cellar. It was dark and had stone walls, and there was a drastic change in temperature when I went below.

After wrapping up the hunt, the moon was now ascending above the trees. I entered my two roomed shack. The bigger of the two rooms had a table, a single chair, a mount for my bow, and a twin-sized bed. The smaller room was a washroom, with a large metal tub for bathing. It wasn't much, but it was mine.

▪ ▪ ▪

I awoke the next morning with a start, always sleeping tense and prepared. I slid off my bed, and proceeded to get ready. I had on a leather tunic with cotton trousers, and thick boots meant for travel. As I got ready, I caught my reflection in the dirty mirror above my fireplace. I scrunched up my face noticing how long my hair was getting.

I grabbed a pair of shears off the table, and began to cut my locks without hesitation. My hair was still curly and out of control, but that somehow looked better once it was short. Some strands of hair still fell in front of my eyes, but I didn't exactly mind it.

I opened the door, breathing in deeply as the smell of the woods enveloped me. Today I would head into the market place, sell some of the meat I hunted. I could then use that money for more supplies to make arrows. I went down to my cellar, collected the cuts of meat that I wanted to sell, and wrapped them up. Once I was satisfied with my packing, I turned to the West.