Chapter 17

Please be aware! This chapter contains a scene that may be upsetting to some people. Please feel free to inbox me if you have any issues with what you read here and have experienced anything that you feel affected by that is related to the issues in this book. I am here to listen to anyone who wants to talk and believe me, I have been there too!

I kept my hands laced together on the table-top and my eyes down as I sat at the dinner table whilst my parents paced back and forth in front of me.

'We have tried to be patient and we have tried to be understanding,' Dad was saying. 'You are pushing and pushing us to the limit Bethan.'

'You can't just do what you want!' Mom cried. 'Maybe it's our fault.'

'It is our fault!' Dad cried. 'Because we let them do whatever they wanted in New York. She stayed out late. She hung out with boys. She got herself into stupid situations and we allowed her to do all of that because we wanted her to learn from her mistakes and grow from them!'

Suddenly, it seemed I wasn't even in the room as the two of them began to converse with each other about me like I wasn't present.

'She didn't do stupid shit like this in New York,' Mom said. 'She is doing it on purpose. She is punishing us!'

'I am in the room!' I cried. 'I am not punishing you guys. I am just trying to have fun!'

'Do you understand what you have put us through since we moved here?' Mom asked me. 'You push us away and we try to give you space then you start dating that boy who makes you skip school and stay out late! Next thing we know you're being carried to our doorstep by that thug after your boyfriend left you for dead! You continue to see Archie and suddenly you're friends with Cal Lakey now! He carries you home for a second time after you go wandering in the woods late at night and now you turn up outside our house on the back of his motorcycle!'

'I didn't mean for all of that to happen,' I defended myself. 'I dated a boy; there is nothing wrong with that. I went cliff diving; so what, I was trying to have a little fun around here! Cal saved my life and you should be thankful for that! I went for a stroll through the woods and got lost and once again, Cal saved my ass! Tonight I honestly just needed a ride home and he just happened to be there and offered.'

'Don't play this down,' Dad said. 'It doesn't excuse the shitty attitude and skipping school and staying out late. You've been caught drinking already and your teachers have told your Mom that you're behind in almost every class.'

I rolled my eyes but deep down, I was feeling worried about failing my classes. I had never failed anything in my life and I certainly wasn't going to get into Columbia by acting this way.

'You're right,' I said. 'I'm sorry for skipping school. I won't do it again and I'll get my grades back up. As for my friends and having fun, I won't stop that. We always used to drink back in New York. You guys know I went to a house party every weekend and you didn't mind then! As for Archie, I don't even think we're together anymore and as for Cal, he isn't a friend of mine. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time.'

'How do you know him?' Mom asked.

I really didn't know how to explain this one without going into detail about my lurking and him threatening me and his pervert uncle or whatever trying it on with me.

'He saved my life Mom, that's how I know him,' I told her. 'No other reason, I swear.'

'Why would you get on his motorcycle?' Dad asked. 'Haven't you heard the stories about him?'

'Yes, I have!' I cried. 'Why would someone so monstrous and dangerous save my life twice?'

They eyed each other.