another afternoon

Song selection: "Make it Holy" by The Staves

The castle was noisy. Ever bustling, swirling and swarming, but not with living air. Deadness and darkness drifted through the rooms, settling over men's heads, under children's feet, embedded in even the mattresses. Mold and staleness hung on the walls, decaying the tapestries and curtains. It did not emit from the king, but even his radiant ways could not drive back dismal realities, just as the sun cannot always warm the shadows or the dark places of the deep.

Amery noticed this and said nothing.

When she heard the clatter of footsteps and the king's jolly laugh over the bustle around her, Amery knew her sister's meeting was over. Still, she had the sudden urge to hide--to run down to the secluded pond hidden from the castle by the deep forest and never return. Live forever sheltered under the canopy of velvety trees and make friends with the tadpoles in the water and the squirrels in the trees. Her house would be carved out of one of the giant trees near the center of the forest. She didn't need her dresses or her jewelry, just a simple cloth dress would work nicely. She could start her own garden, grow her own food, bake her own bread. In the forest, she would have choices to make all on her own. No human could force her hand or strip her of what she loved. Amery would, at last, be able to rest.

It was a familiar feeling and, though it never went away, it was a safe place to retreat when life started falling apart. She had begun to rely on this imaginary refuge more lately now that the king, her father, had finally settled upon the details of an alliance with a neighboring kingdom: her older sister Candace was to marry the neighboring king's oldest son. Candace, already unhappy living in the castle and dealing with the courtiers, became positively sullen when she heard she was part of the deal. As sullen as Candace would allow herself to be, at least. Her vacant expression never wavered in public, but Amery was privy to her sister's secret thoughts. So when Candace was asked to attend a small meeting to accept the betrothal gifts, Amery knew she would be needed for the aftermath.

Amery raised her hand to knock on Candace's door but she hesitated, hearing Candace's low grumble through the door. It was a muffled but constant stream of frustration. Amery knew all too well how this could go but she was equal parts curious and anxious. She wanted to know what had happened during the meeting, but would have to pay the price Candace required: permission to say whatever she wanted however she pleased. What had at one time been a relief to have a trusted confidant had become a one-sided burden. Lately, she had become a vessel for Candace's rage and grief; it was almost too much for her to bear.

Amery knocked and, immediately regretting it, braced herself.

Footsteps echoed and the thick wooden door to her sister's chamber swung open. It was one of the finest in the castle, with large windows, heavy curtains, and thick blankets on a lush mattress. In spite of these luxuries, Candace herself stood as the only shadow in the room. With her emerald eyes, fair skin, and deep brown hair, Candace would have seemed more alive in rich ruby red or emerald to match her eyes. Instead, she wore dark colors: ebony, onyx, navy, and deep purple. Her large eyes made her long face look gaunt, a sharp jewel set in a silver ring. Candace was fierce and flinty, eager for any chance to light a spark.

Amery sat on the wooden footstool across from her sister, ready for the deluge of woes. Like a sudden thunderstorm on a sweltering summer afternoon, Candace poured everything out without caution.

"I'm chattle to them," she spat. "I'm the price for an alliance, but what price do they pay to buy me? What is a princess worth?"

Amery gave a feeble shrug. Everyone at court knew it would be a marriage of convenience. Their kingdom was small and wealthy; Prince Orren's kingdom was poor but powerful, hungry but well-armed. Candace's dowry would provide his kingdom more resources and her kingdom would have protection along the northwestern border.