Chapter 12. Moving the Lines

The next morning brought with it blessed normality, or at least what passed for normal for Harry these days and he was actually feeling more relaxed. The Ministry hadn't shown their hand yet, but it seemed to be clear which way they were leaning. That meant that Harry let Draco go off to lessons with only a little reluctance and he actually managed to concentrate quite well through his subjects.

Draco returned at lunch time, along with Hermione and Neville, Ron was dealing with something to do with the Quidditch team, and Dobby brought them all a very nice selection of what the kitchen had to offer. They were eating and talking, and well just being friends when Jeremy popped into his frame.

"Sorry to disturb you, Harry," Jeremy said with a smile, "but the headmaster wonders if he might be allowed in."

"Of course," Harry said immediately.

It didn't sound urgent, but you could never tell with Dumbledore. When the headmaster walked in, he was carrying a small bundle under one arm and a rather large flat something in the other; he was, however, smiling brightly, so Harry thought this was probably a good visit.

"Good afternoon," Dumbledore greeted in his usual, slightly dotty manner, "please, do not let me interrupt your lunch. I am merely here as a delivery boy."

When Albus Dumbledore was just a delivery boy the world would end, but Harry wasn't about to challenge him on it. It did pique his interest though and he couldn't help wondering what could have dragged the headmaster all the way from his office.

"Firstly," Dumbledore said, while sporting the biggest smile, "a few students pressed upon me to deliver this."

He produced the large flat thing that appeared to be some sort of homemade envelope.

"I believe they have been working very hard on it since the news broke," Dumbledore explained and twinkled at them.

The predicted pile of cards from the Hufflepuffs had never materialised, but Harry had the sinking feeling that was because they had been working together. He stood up and carefully took what he suspected was a giant card from the headmaster.

"Um, thanks," he said, looking at it dubiously, "would you mind if we opened it after lunch?"

His reaction seemed to amuse the Headmaster somewhat.

"Of course not, My Boy," was the cheerful response and Harry found himself being patted on the shoulder.

He placed the large envelope against the edge of the sofa and sat back down.

"And now, Draco," Dumbledore said, grabbing Harry's attention, because everything concerning Draco did these days, "this is for you."

The headmaster passed the other small bundle to Draco, who took it and placed it on his knee. He didn't appear to know whether to open it right then or not, so Harry gave him a small nod; he felt safer with Dumbledore there when there were strange parcels involved. Logically he knew that the headmaster would never allow anything through that might endanger Draco, but it made him feel better that Dumbledore was there.

Opening it, Draco revealed a thick scroll, and the most obvious thing on it was the Ministry seal. Harry's heart began to beat a little faster. All the signs had been good, but Harry never underestimated the Ministry's ability to take the most obvious situation and hash it up, so he waited, all but holding his breath. Draco carefully picked up the scroll to release the seal and, as he tipped it sideways, something fell out into his lap.

Harry might had squeaked, just a little, but he was admitting to nothing. There on Draco's legs was his wand.

"I believe, My Dear Boy," Dumbledore said, twinkling beyond belief now, "that the scroll contains a full account of the Ministry's investigation and their findings, as well as their decision to drop all pending charges."