Part 2

Virat wished someone else would announce the team for him on the day of the England match.

Honestly--honestly, he didn't want to risk Bhuvi before the semi finals, but Bhuvi had turned a complete cold shoulder to him since overhearing his words the other day, and he wouldn't even listen to Virat's justification.

But he was the captain and he had to do it.

"Rishabh, you'll play tomorrow," he began. "In place of Vijay. And the rest of the team--"

Bhuvi was not looking at him.

Don't you dare pretend to everyone that I'm still injured.

"--will remain unchanged," finished Virat, wishing that Bhuvi would just look at him once.

Bhuvi did look at him.

And he didn't even look angry.

Virat should have known that Bhuvi would never cause him discomfort on a match day. Bhuvi so rarely showed hurt or anger that everyone felt twice as awful when he did.

It was not surprising how heavy Virat's heart felt as he walked out to the field that day.

______________

India lost.

Shami took 5 wickets. But he did leak a lot of runs in the death, which might have made the difference between victory and defeat.

The team had really put up a great effort chasing a big total, but in the end they fell short.

Rohit had scored a hundred, but Virat's dismissal in the 60s had completely derailed their chase.

As Rohit and Virat were walking back to the hotel from the bus, the latter was in a competely depressed mood.

"We had to lose one, you know," said Rohit, trying to cheer his best friend up.

"No, we didn't!"

"Yes, we did, so that it doesn't happen like 2015. Win every league match, then lose in the semi final."

"You have a truly weird mentality, Ro," Virat told him, but he was smiling a little.

"Let's go out somewhere. Distract ourselves a bit," suggested Rohit as Kuldeep and Yuzi joined them.

"Yeah, let's," said Yuzi.

"Inform everyone."

They went in opposite directions, Rohit and Kohli in one and Kuldeep and Yuzi in another.

Bhuvi was the first person Rohit and Virat same across.

"Bhuvi, we're going out for some time. Join us?" cried Virat, a bit too eagerly.

Bhuvi's face gave away nothing as he said, "I don't feel like going. Thanks anyway."

"Bhuvi," pleaded Virat. "I wish you'd stop being offended with me. If you would just listen to me once..."

"I'm not offended with you," said Bhuvi indifferently. "And there's nothing to listen to."

Bhuvi left without giving Virat the chance to reply.

Rohit looked at Virat in confusion and saw with horror that he looked on the verge of tears.

"I only wanted to ensure that his injury doesn't get worse," mumbled Virat, his voice shaking a little.

"What happened between you two?" asked Rohit gently.

Glad to hear an understanding voice, Virat broke down told Rohit everything. Rohit didn't interrupt till he had finished.

"Well, who told you to make jokes about feigning injuries and stuff!" said Rohit exasperatedly.

"But it was just a joke," said Virat miserably. "I would always take Bhuvi before anyone else," he whispered, because it felt like an inherent weakness to say a thing like that as captain.

"Because he deserves it, Virat," said Rohit, and that was true, they both knew, but they also knew perfectly well the special part Bhuvi occupied in their hearts...right from 2013, which felt like forever.