How did the count of vesuvia die?

"I am not wearing those" Valerius said wrinkling his nose at the offensive 'shoes' in Volta's hands. "But we designed them for you!" Vlastomil piped in cheerfully as Volta pushed them towards the Consul once more. Valerius slapped them out of her hands "This is Count Lucio's masquerade, I am not having my image tarnished by wearing crocs" he snapped at the other courtiers.

"Even Valdemar is wearing their crocs! We will look like a team, we'll smash this masquerade" Vulgora said clenching their fist in delight. Valerius looked over at said Quaestor and they were in fact wearing green crocs with smiley faces decorating them. Valerius rolled his eyes "I refuse, you all look ridiculous" he turned to fetch another glass of wine.

Vlastomil and Vulgora exchanged a glance and before the consul knew it he was tackled and pinned to the floor by Vulgora as they yelled at Vlastomil "now you worm!". Vlastomil took the crocs from Volta and they moved back over to their tray of food, now content. "I myself am nowhere near as beautiful as worms however-" The consul began to struggle in Vulgora's grip, they turned their head to glare at the Praetor "I DONT CARE JUST PUT THEM ON" Vlastomil jumped and began to work on Valerius' shoes, removing them quickly and working the crocs onto his foot. Valdemar just watched, a disinterested look in their eyes "if you cooperate Consul, you'll get a lollipop" they took a rather questionable lollipop out from their apron, this only made Valerius struggle further.

Outside the room a servant was about to knock on the door however after hearing the yelling coming from the Pontifex they started backing away slowly, not wishing to be their next victim.
Count Lucio's masquerade was in progress, everybody exploring the palace having fun and drinking until they couldn't stand anymore. Count Lucio was attending the masquerade, not letting the horrid plague affect his want to party. He was rather enjoying himself until he spotted them. Amongst the crowd of people in the ballroom stood five rather odd guests all wearing crocs, a green pair with smiley faces, a red pair with rather sharp spikes, a pink pair with shrek charms, a maroon pair with small wine glasses attached that made them jingle if they moved and a bright yellow pair with small worm charms attached. The Vesuvian court. They were really an eyesore.

He walked straight up to Vlastomil "What on earth are you wearing!?" He looked disgusted at all of their shoes. "C-crocs" Vlastomil supplied, a weary smile on his lips.
The Count pouted at the Consul "I'm just disappointed in you darling.." He trailed off before erupting in a fit of coughing. Valdemar approached to assist the Count but through Lucio's blurred vision all he saw were bright green crocs and disgusting smiley faces staring up at him. Once he recovered he glared at them "remove them. Now" he stated before turning leaving the ballroom.

The courtiers stood in shock for a few minutes before taking off their shoes where they stood, Valerius already putting his normal shoes on and sighing in relief.
Valdemar, Volta, Vlastomil and Vulgora decided to follow the count to his room to discuss how the crocs could be a revolutionary fashion choice, especially paired with socks.
Valerius left to get a glass of wine. He needed it.

Upon arriving at the Count's room later that night he saw the courtiers acting rather odd, which is a lot given how odd they already were and as he approached he saw the flames in Lucio's room. The beloved Count of Vesuvia was dead.