three

abentrot. (noun)

the color of the sky while the sun is setting.

...

Grizz waters all the vegetables in his backyard before washing the sweat out of his forehead with his sleeve.

He is aware that this is not a common hobby but Grizz is really proud of the good work he's pulled off so far.

At first his mom didn't want to let him use her backyard to such a 'feminine' activity. In the beginning, Grizz felt really offended. Why should gardening be considered something feminine?

He made her see the pros of home harvesting their own food and she eventually let him have it. She's still not that fond of that though.

Grizz doesn't really care.

He decides to have a shower since he's been in the sun for so long.
When he feels more fresh he puts a sweatshirt over his head and decides to go for a walk.

Grizz loves his family, don't get him wrong. But he feels like he lives in such a toxic environment, where everyone is pretending to care that sometimes Grizz can't help but feel like he's suffocating.

When he arrives to the library a full smile can be displayed on his face. New Ham might not be a big city but Grizz's favorite place is the library and the garden next to it.

It has a peaceful lake in it and all the trees rustling make Grizz feel better. Like he's not alone.

Surprisingly, the bench where Grizz usually sits is occupied.

Fun fact, nobody really comes to this part of the garden anymore, Grizz even takes care of some plants sometimes.

"Hello?"

For a second Grizz just thinks the person is too in their own mind, listey to the melodic chirping of the birds. But when the boy approaches the bench he realises that the person sitting on it might not be able to hear the birds. Nor him for that matter.

Grizz stands in front of the red headed and waves, making the other boy jump.

"Shit, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Grizz feels guilty right away. Then he feels stupid because he has no idea how to speak to Sam.

"It's okay, I just didn't think someone else came here."

Grizz thinks he may be dreaming because he's pretty sure deaf people don't usually talk. Or maybe he's just dumb and never knew that.

Sam notices the taller boy's confused face and cringes mentally.

"Sorry, I don't speak very well."

Grizz can't help but find Sam's strained voice adorable.

"No, not at all. You speak just fine. I just... didn't think I'd see you here."

Grizz wants to slap himself for being nervous but he just sits next to Sam instead.

Sam smiles and looks back at the water. Grizz watches the sun reflecting all shades of orange and pink in the water and smiles too.

Maybe the sun is as happy as Grizz is.

"How can you-" Grizz begins and lets his hand rest on Sam's tight to call for his attention. "How can you hear me?"

Sam looks at Grizz's hand before answering.

"I wish I could. No, I just read lips."

And suddenly Grizz is as thankful for Sam as he is for the sun setting in front of them.

"I come here when I need to be alone. To think." Sam speaks when he thinks Grizz won't say anything. Actually the red headed finds the other boy rather interesting and funny.

"Yeah." Grizz whispers "Me too."