Chapter 16: The Morning After

THE VIKING'S WITCH
(Fiona's POV)
I awoke to the sound of twittering birds outside the open door, their light music puling me from my foggy dreamlike state. My body throbbed with a new sense of awareness, showing me places I never even knew existed. I turned over on my side, reaching lazily for the soft muscled body that held me through the cold night, but was surprised when my fingertips touched fur instead. I bolted up into a sitting position, searching the small cabin with my eyes. Panic seized my throat. Tears stung my eyes as anger bubbled up inside me. Had the beautiful woman gotten what she wanted and tossed me aside while I slept? Had she run back to Bretta?

The though struck me like lightning, burning a hole right where my heart hammered against my chest. She couldn't have. Could she?

Could she?

"I'm glad to see you awake, Fiona," a voice floated in through the open doorway. "'Tis time to leave."

I stared up at her. She was already dressed in her tunic, her weapons firmly placed on her hips, yet somehow she looked different this morning. There was no sign of the tender lover that had stroked the hot flames of lust within me last eve. It was as if she had turned to stone over night, a Viking once more. Hard, implacable, feirce. I stood, holding the cloak firmly over my nude body.

"I wish to bathe," I said, searching her icy blue eyes for any of the warmth I was blessed with last night. The tangy sent of our love making session clung to my body and offended my nostrils.

"I already bathed in the fjord. 'Tis cold but you'll find it refreshing." Thorn said, pointing a thumb in the direction of the door.

Wrapping myself in the cloak, I hurried past thorn and down the warn dirt path to the fjord. I tested the water and found that Thorn had been right. The water was indeed cold, but it felt wonderfully refreshing on my skin as I waded in. Skin that now had the intimate knowledge of a woman's hands and mouth. Despite the cool water I felt myself grow hot with the memory.

"Come out now, Fiona. The water is too cold to linger."

Thorn stood on the bank of the fjord, holding a cloak out to receive me. I wade out of the water and stepped into her arms. She wrapped the fur around my shaking body and pulled me tightly against her.

"If I could I would throw aside all these irksome cloths and make love to you right here, right now, for the whole forest to see," she said releasing me. "But there is no time, and we must return to the homestead before Father sends out a search party for us."

"What will you tell him?" I asked as we returned to the cottage for my tunic.
Thorn followed me inside.

"The truth. That I have no idea what possessed me to wed you. 'Twas rash and irrisponsible. I can only surmise that your magic spell drove me to madness." She shook her head, looking off into the distance. "'Twas madness."

I quickly slipped the tunic over my head and turned to face her. "Nevertheless, I am you're wife. Properly wedded and bedded."

"Aye," Thorn smirked. "'Twould seem so."

"Then remove this chain from my neck. I am no longer your captive. As your wife I have certain rights."

"I will think on it," Thorn said evasively.

I stiffened, determined not to be presented as Thorns wife wearing the offensive chain. "Take it off now, Viking."

One perfectly shaped blond brow shot upwards. "Or what, wife? What will you do? Place another spell on me? I doubt one more curse will make my life any more difficult than it is now."