~ ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔑𝔦𝔫𝔢 ~

___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________
"That's the stupidest idea I have ever heard of", Robb snorted looking at his wife. Sofya clenched her jaw.
"That's how it's done in King's Landing. Maester, isn't that a good idea?", she looked at Maester Luwin.
They were arguing over the food shortage after The King's visit.
"People of The North are not as rich, My Lady", Maester bowed his head respectfully, "Such action would not only make them angry but would be also dangerous for their health and lives during winter"
"We are their overlords, they will always be angry at us for something", Sofya rolled her eyes.
"I am terrified to hear that", Robb sighed, "I won't tell my people to give me more of their food just because we had to feed your brother. My people come first"
"My brother is your king. The North is not independent on its own, I have to remind"
"My Lord, My Lady...", Maester tried to be nice, "We need to find the way to refill the storages and your fighting won't change anything"
"I know what you're trying to say", Sofya snapped at him, "It was better whan I was minding my own business and taking care of Rickon. I shouldn't act like an actual Lady of Winterfell, right?"
"I would never...", Maester Luwin gasped at her insinuations.
"Lady Sofya, what's wrong with you today? You're even worse than usual. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to leave indeed", Robb squinted his eyes at her, "Lady Stark... Please, leave", he added.
"Sure. I've been trying to help. I'm sorry I'm not as bright and smart as your mother, Lord Stark", she muttered and left the chamber angrily.
It was all caused by a letter. A letter Sofya had found the night before. A letter Robb has written to his half-brother Jon. It felt weird to read such terrible things about herself.
She was a spoiled, selfish brat and she refused to help around Winterfell. Fighting Robb's every idea was her hobby and the servants complained about her often. That was in the letter. Sofya slammed the door after her and went to check on Rickon. He should be asleep already but sometimes he had nightmares and Sofya was always there to calm him down. That was not in the letter.
___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________
"What in the seven hells was that?!", Robb entered their chambers an hour later.
He looked furious but Sofya wasn't scared of that. She knew that Robb would never actually hurt her. She was grateful for that, Robert wasn't like that. She has seen many times her brother slapping Cersei's face.
"Maester Luwin was in shock! Your behaviour must be changed! Sofya, look at me when I'm talking to you!"
She turned around to face him and stopped brushing her hair.
"All you care about is your hair, you're brushing it all the time"
"Yes, you're right. I don't care about Rickon and Bran at all. I don't spend every day taking care of them. I totally didn't help in the stables yesterday and the last thing you'd see me doing would be trying to make a deal with The Reach to gain some grain. Oh, I forgot that the only thing I am doing is fighting everything you do"
Robb took a step back making wide eyes at her. He felt heavier in the place where his heart was.
"You... You've read the letter?"
"Yes. Not on purpose, don't make a fuss. I thought it was one of my letters I have been writing to the Tyrells"
"Sofya, I know you're not going to believe me but...", Robb sat on their bed and looked at her with his Tully eyes filled with guilt.
"You don't need to explain yourself to me, Robb. I'm not hurt by that", she lied, "Just angry. But the anger is going to pass. I'm not hurt, though, because I don't feel anything towards you"
She felt like it was another lie and it made her feel uneasy. She didn't know why she actually felt hurt.
"I still owe you an explanation", Robb sighed, "It was an old letter that I hadn't sent. I took it out of my box with old letters to burn it later. And I did. I had no idea you've read that"
"Thought it was a letter you wanted to send today", Sofya admitted. Her voice sounded softer than before.
"I don't think the things that were in the letter. Not anymore"
"I overreacted. I need to apologise to Maester", Sofya looked down, "I've acted like a brat indeed"
"Well, Yours is the Fury", Robb chuckled.
"But The Winter Is Coming so I think I need to cool it down a little", Sofya tried to smile and approached her husband. He extended his hands a little and she was just about to shyly hold them when Benygne ran inside.
"My Lord, My Lady, I am so sorry, I know I should have knocked but... But...", she tried to catch her breath, "Lord Bran is awake!"
Robb and Sofya looked at each other and hurried to Bran's chamber.
The boy looked weak and terrified when they saw him. But his eyes were opened and they couldn't be more grateful.
"He can't feel his legs", Maester Luwin whispered to them, "I doubt if he's ever going to use them again"
Robb nodded his head and approached his brother. Sofya stayed by Maester's side.
"Maester, I... I want to apologise for today. I shouldn't have acted this way. Past few weeks of being the Lady of Winterfell were quite stressful and..."
"It's alright, My Lady. Could you please visit me tomorrow morning?"
"Sure, Maester. Thank you"
"Where's mother?", Bran whined and Sofya stood by his side. She caressed his forehead a little.
"She's been spending all her days and nights by your side but she had to leave Winterfell. It costed her a lot but she believed we would take a good care of you", she tried to explain.
"So she left me?"
"No, Bran", Robb stated, "No one left you. Our mother has her duties as Lady of Winterfell", he sat on the edge of the bed, "We're so glad you're awake"
"So glad", Sofya nodded her head. She was still caressing Bran's forehead.
"I know it may be too early but... Do you remember anything?", Robb asked.
"Robb, not today. Let him rest. You'll ask him tomorrow", Sofya rolled her eyes.
"What do you mean what do I remember?", Bran furrowed his brows.
"Before the fall. Anything that had happened before your fall?"
"No. I don't think so", Bran looked down.
"It's alright, darling", Sofya shushed him and put a kiss on his cheek, "You must be hungry, right? Bring him some food", she looked at Benygne. Her servant bowed her head and left, "Just tell us when you remember something"
"Why is this so important?", Bran asked.
Sofya gave Robb a stern look.
"It's... It's just... You know... To secure the castle better"
"Mhm"
"Do you want us to stay with you for the night?", Sofya asked, "I can stay here. Robb as well. Or just Robb, as you wish"
"No, leave", Bran's words sounded kind of harsh.
Sofya was aware that the boy would never be the same after such an accident. She knew that he had every right to be angry - his mother wasn't by his side, his legs weren't working and he just woke up from a coma. But she felt like the coldness of his voice was caused by something else. Something way bigger than all those reasons. He felt different.
"I'll come see you in the morning. Septa will stay with you", Robb nodded his head and kissed the top of his brother's head.
___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________
"So, it's not what I thought", Maester muttered to himself when Sofya was sitting in his chamber. She was honestly surprised that Maester Luwin wanted to examine her but she let him, of course. He knew more about health than her.
"I feel good, really. It's just been a stressful time...", she started.
"I was thinking you might be pregnant, My Lady", he explained.
Sofya gasped at that.
That was the last thing she wanted at the moment. She still had to get used to Winterfell more and she was very young after all. She had lots of time. But of course there was a possibility for her to become pregnant and there was no denying in that. It could happen anytime.
"But you're not", Maester finished.
"I'm not here for that long, it's too soon"
"Most ladies are pregnant after the first month"
"Is it expected from me?", Sofya asked concerned.
Her brother has never told her anything about the children she would have with Robb. He only mentioned once that she would be a mother to Winterfell's heirs. But in general Robert was avoiding the topic and it was making him uncomfortable to talk to his own little sister about such things.
"No, not at all. But it may be concerning that after a month there is no sign of pregnancy", Maester informed her, "Unless there was no occasion to..."
"That's not the problem, Maester", Sofya smiled gently and blushed.
"My Lady, I can give you some herbs to help it happen sooner"
Sofya didn't know how to tell him she didn't want them. She didn't want Maester Luwin to think she doesn't want to have children - she wanted them badly. But later. She wanted to wait a year at least.
"Um... Alright", she nodded her head.
"Tell Benygne to make you a tea out of it every evening", he handed her green leaves.
"A-alright, thank you, Maester", Sofya nodded her head and left his chamber.
She met Robb on the corridor. He was coming back from Bran's room.
"How is he?", she asked.
"Better. But he still doesn't remember anything"
"Robb, you can't ask him every hour about it. Maybe he'll never remember, then what?"
"What is it?", he asked pointing at the leaves. Sofya looked down, "You were in Maester's chamber, what's wrong?"
"Nothing, it's just... It's... For the headaches", she lied quickly, "I'm going to see Rickon now"
"Alright", Robb watched his wife carefully. He noticed that she threw the leaves away when she thought he couldn't see. That made him think those weren't herbs for the headaches.
___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________
"Bran is devastated. He told me he'd rather be dead", Robb complained in the evening. He hid his face in his hands.
Sofya was brushing her hair while watching herself in the mirror, as always. She seemed like a vain princess but it wasn't about that. Her mind was usually drifting away to some nice places and family when she was sitting in front of her dressing table. The evenings and mornings when she could just sit there and brush her hair automatically while daydreaming were her favorite parts of the day.
"It's going to pass, he needs to get used to his new life", she murmured, "Grey Wind, get off the bed", she saw the direwolf jumping on their bed in her mirror.
Grey Wind obeyed her and sat next to her so she could caress his head a little.
"You've gotten so big, baby, you can't sleep on the bed anymore. There would be no space for me and Robb", she smiled at the wolf and he licked her hand.
"Are you even listening to me?", Robb looked at her.
"Yes, I am. But what do you expect me to do? Nothing I say will change anything. I'm sad as well. But I'm trying to focus on the good side. And the good side is that Bran's alive and awake"
"It hurts me when I see him in such state. You don't understand how it's like"
"Don't I?", Sofya frowned, "Are we going to talk about me being heartless again?"
"Why do you always make it about you? Everything must be about you. Even my brother's pain"
"You started! You always have to use everything against me. Even your brother's pain"
"Alright, Sofya, I don't want to fight", Robb sounded tired and his eyes were blurry.
She hoped he wouldn't start crying. She wouldn't know what to do if he started to.
"Oh, that's a new thing", she tried to chuckle, "I gave Bran that blanket with Summer on it. He pretended to liked it", she told him and sat next to him on their bed.
"Yes, I've seen it"
"I'm working on something new", she showed him a piece of fabric, "It's going to be a dress. Very fancy one. I'm going to decorate the chest with a stag and a wolf"
"I just hope this time the wolf will look like the wolf", Robb laughed a little.
"Gee, me too", Sofya chuckled. She desperatley tried to cheer him up. She didn't want him to start crying, "I need to ask you something", she sighed and decided to change the topic. Maybe that would distract her husband from his brother's suffering for few moments.
"What is it?"
"Maester has been thinking that I was pregnant...", she bit her lip.
Robb's eyes has never been so big and his mouth dropped a little.
"I'm not, I'm not", she quickly explained, "But... I don't know, he sounded like it's a bad thing that I'm not. I want to ask you for your opinion, I mean... Do you think we should have a child now?"
"Now? My mother's away, Bran's ill, we need to take care of Winterfell, my brothers and the whole North basically. It's not a perfect timing to be honest"
"You see, sometimes we can agree on something", Sofya smiled widely. She was glad that his opinion was no different from hers on that matter.
"But you know... One day it's going to be like that", he added, "We're going to run The North and Winterfell and raise children at the same time"
"I'm not really good at running Winterfell. I'll raise children. You can make decisions about the food shortages", Sofya was still trying to joke.
"Sounds like a fair deal"
"I feel like you're annoying me less and less each day", she smiled.
"And I'm starting to think that maybe you're not that bad", he admitted.
"Not that bad", she chuckled, "What kind of man does react like that to a princess?"
"A man from The North"
"If my brother and your aunt would marry... We'd never be here together, you know that? Sometimes I'm thinking that it was more than Robert's friendship with your father. I think he wanted me to do something he couldn't. He wanted to join our houses so he'd feel closer to your family... Closer to Lyanna", Sofya admitted, "I'm wondering who I'd marry if Robert was Lyanna's husband"
"You wouldn't be a princess, first of all"
"I know. But despite what you think of me, I don't care that much about being a princess. Actually, it's so calm and peaceful in Winterfell. I don't have to be worried about court ladies and their gossiping. I don't need to compete with Cersei. I'm trying to focus on that when I miss home. On the good things. Like you should at the moment"
"I know", Robb sighed laying down, "I wish my mother, father and sisters were here. Everything's different now. Everything's changed"
"Life is a constant change. The still things are the dead ones", Sofya laid down next to him, "Funny. That's what Robert had told me when I was crying after finding out about our trip to Winterfell"
___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________