Falling

WRITING PROMPT

Write a typical day-to-day life using a romantic trope.

• • •

"Tonight. Eleven o'clock. You know where." He had whispered in her ear as he held her close. She felt the warmth of his quickened breath as her cheek pressed against the rough of his stubble.

Her arm lingered a second too long on his arm, not wanting to pull away as he slipped through her fingertips.

She watched in a daze as his figure strode down the hall, his friends thumping his back as they called greetings.

He had taken a quick glance over his shoulder, a grin on his face before he vanished from her sight around the corner.
---

Ten fifty-four, her watch read as she raised it to her eyes. Her hand gripped the door knob firmly, her knuckles white against her skin. Any moment now...

Fifty-five. The street was quiet as she silently opened the door and crept out, shutting the door softly behind her.

She shivered as the cold air stung her face, desperately trying to clutch her cardigan tighter round her.

She burned with hatred as she thought of how he had betrayed her, what he had done. She had let her guard down and had to pay, with exposure there came vulnerability.

But with him... his smile, his touch, his eyes. How they had gazed adoringly at her as though there were no one else besides her.

Those stupid eyes. They had made her weak.

Yet, without knowing why, her feet carried her forward, her heart in control of her mind, banishing all thoughts of his disloyalty.

She was almost there now, at the place where she would see him again.

She walked faster, her cheeks flushed as she thought of how they had first met there, in the storm drain.

How the rain had poured and lead to the both of them seeking shelter under the protection of that concrete tunnel.

She saw him now. She was early, but he had been earlier.

She watched as he paced in front of the tunnel, his hands knotted together, as though fearing she wouldn't show up.

But she was there, she didn't want to be, but she was.

He stopped and gazed ahead, he saw her.

They walked toward each other before he stopped.

"I'm sorry." He said.

She closed her eyes, letting out a shaky breath before she opened them again.

"I made a mistake."

She shook her head, "No, you were my mistake."

His eyes flashed. "Then why are you here."

Silence stung the air as he waited for her reply, she did not give one.

"I know why you're here. You're willing to try again."

As he said those words, she knew, that he was right. And with her heart hanging on the line, she gave her reply, and let herself fall.