Chapter 10

Aiden’s POV

“Do you wanna come with us?” I ask when she wakes up.

“Where are you going?”

“Somewhere, we don’t know where but we know that we want to end the end of the world.”

“That makes no sense.”

“I don’t want the world to end.”

“Better. So why do you want ‘me’ coming?” 

“Because we don’t want to leave you to die.”

“So pity, right?”

“No it’s not like that.”

“I’ll come with you only because you’re right, I’m alone and I don’t want to die, but I don’t know if you have rules that I’m supposed to follow or something, ‘cause I won’t follow them unless I like them.”

“That’s fine with us, we don’t have rules.”

“Great,” Becca replies bluntly like she’s in charge, maybe this was a bad idea. “I’m going to pack a few things and throw a few things. You two can wait outside for me, I’m going to change and such, I promise I won’t kill you.” I look at Izzie and her eyes are wide open. I walk out of the door to wait for her.

“So she seems nice,” Izzie says sarcastically.

“I think she’ll grow on us, she’s 16, only 16, she’ll grow on us, and we’ll grow on her.”

 “I guess you’re right, she’s not that bad, just blunt. Maybe she’s just scared.”

“Yeah, I think she’ll cheer up a bit once things-” I get cut off by the doorknob creak.

“Let’s leave!” Becca comes out wearing a long sleeve purple V-neck and a blue denim vest, with black skinny jeans that are more loose at the ankles than most, with black Walmart-brand shoes that look old and tight. 

“Lets leave,” Izzie and I say in sync. Becca smirks looking at the two of us back together. I looked at Izzie wondering if Izzie knew what Becca was doing.

“Complete eye contact,” Becca says under her breath.

“What do you mean?” Izzie asks her, reading my mind.

“Are you guys together?” She asks us.

“Kind of,” Izzie and I answer in sync again.

“Well it should be a yes, you two are so cute!” Becca squeals. “You were meant for each other.”

We smile and I grab Izzie’s hand tangling my fingers in hers. “So where should we go first?”

“To eat! I’m starving!” Izzie and Becca say at the same time.

“Then lets go.” We walk out of the penthouse and we carefully walk to a restaurant. “There should be something good enough to eat here.” I rip through cupboards seeing things that would only be good if we cooked with other things. I found a stash of bread sticks and stuff like that, they looked like they were freshly made right before the power went out. “This works.” 

I passed out the bread sticks and we stuffed our mouths full. When we were finished eating we stuffed a bag full or breadsticks and shoved them in Izzie’s bag.

“We should save some for Ethan and CeCe,” I tell them zipping up the last part of the bag.

“Who are they?” Becca asks.

“Our friends.”

“Why aren’t they here?”

“We thought it would be better if we split up.”

“It’s never better that way!” Becca shouts giving me the chills. I nod my head sympathetically. “It’s never better that way,” Becca repeats in a whisper to herself. Izzie wraps her arm around Becca and she curls up into Izzie’s arms.

**********Becca’s POV

Aiden replies, “we thought it would be better if we split up.” I listened to the words he spoke but I couldn’t hold my tongue, at one point I thought it would be better if we split up, but when we met up he was gone, not just missing. He was gone. I’d taken two hours extra because I thought I had time, I told him to meet me by the lake, we had to get ready so we split up and I got ready, by the time I was almost done getting ready, the power went out. I left and went to the lake, where I told him to meet me, he was there, but he was dead.

“It’s never better that way!” I shouted at him. He nods his head and I put my fists up to my eyes covering them, my purple sleeves covered my hands and Izzie puts her arm around me, I curl up to her and silently cry.