Chapter 2

The work day progressed quietly, with Jane's coworkers all chipping in to teach her the ins-and-outs of Farber's Coffee Shop and Book Palace. At three, she tossed her goodbyes to her new acquaintances and caught a bus home. Overall, it was a good first day at her first job on another continent. A color of pride flickered in her eyes and cheeks as she came up the stairs to her flat. One of the men from the next flat over, 221B, was just coming out. Closing the door behind him, he glanced at her with curiosity.
"Hello, there," he said kindly. "You must be Mrs. Hudson's new tenant!" He smiled, and Jane met his eyes with a grin. He was wearing a nice cream-colored jumper, had salt and pepper blond hair, and gentle eyes. He was a little shorter than herself, she noted a bit disappointedly. She liked taller guys.
"Yeah, that's me! I'm Jane, and you are?"
"John Watson. And you're American! What are you doing over here, living in the ex-motherland?" He questioned lightly, attempting to subtly take in her green eyes and casual outfit. 
"Oh, well, uh... I thought, why not? Seemed like as good a time as any to move across an ocean," Jane chuckled. John's pocket vibrated, and he took it out, looked at the notification, and frowned.
"Yeah... Well, I must get going," he smiled again, pausing. "Mrs. Hudson said you may need help unpacking, so if you need anything let me know."
"I will, thanks," Jane replied in a soft voice. He looked at her for another moment before he started off down the hall.
"Oh, John!" She called.
He turned around, and quirked his brow.
"You wouldn't happen to play the violin, would you?" She hoped her mischievous and slightly annoyed tone seeped into her voice.
"Oh, God, no," was his response before he turned and ambled down the stairs.