hope and despair - j. liebgott

hope and despair          

Joseph Liebgott x OC

"I can't believe you!"

The sound of a wooden chair being shoved across kitchen tiles echoed through the small flat, followed by rushed footsteps and quiet sniffling. Heavier steps followed and their sound was muffled by the stained carpet laid across the salon that had seen many more arguments before, just none of the sort this one was.

"Come on, I did it for us!"

Desperation swung in the male voice, mixed with a pinch of regret and suppressed anger. An uncomfortable silence swallowed the couple, her mum sobs and his heavy breathing were drowned out by the autumn rain hammering against the roof over their heads and the window in front of them.

Low ticking noises encompassed them and made them realize again and again how short the time they had left together actually was.

"How is you going to war benefitting to the both of us?" she whispered with a voice as faint as a breath of wind. Tears started stinging in her eyes and she aggressively rubbed over them in a poor attempt to hide them from her husband.

"Stop that!" He rushed over to her, clasping her wrists and bringing them away from her face. Staring up at him, she freed herself from his grip and turned away from him, her gaze fixing on the small playground outside their.

"Lizzie, please, don't do that to me." He slung his lanky arms around his significant others body, pulling her against his chest and resting his chin on her shoulder. Another moment of silence engulfed them, though just for a few seconds.

A huffed chuckle escaped his lips. "Can you see the Carson twins over there? In that huge puddle by the swing set? Mrs. Carson is going to tear them apart when they come home." Lizzie snorted. "Imagine if our little Liebgotts would come home all soaked and muddy after playing outside in the rain. You'd kill them for making our carpet dirty, though that thing already looks ready to be burned."

If this was a normal situation, she'd answer with a "Don't hurt that poor carpet's feelings!" and this was what Joe was going for, but he failed miserably.

Instead, she broke away from his embrace and turned to face him. Her green eyes in which he could normally see banter, fun and love were now darkened with sadness and tears brimming in their corners. A silent accusation stood in them.

Something inside him broke upon this sight. Following his instinct, he wrapped her tightly in his arms, not giving in to her fight against him. Her movements grew weaker and weaker until they stopped completely. His hand found its way to her head and he started playing with her brown locks, knowing this would calm her down. A small smile appeared on his face has he felt her instantly relaxing and leaning into his touch.

"Trust me, I don't want to leave you alone. Fuck, I don't want to risk never seeing you again. But I have to do this. We need the money. Hell, we really do. And they pay even more for the Airborne." He breathed in her ear. She tensed up again.

"We don't need the stupid money! We both work and we never had problems! And this whole story about the paratroopers sounds like suicide!" She flared up and simultaneously grabbed onto his shirt, closing her fingers around it tightly.

"The cab company dismissed me."

Her face broke away from his chest and she looked up to meet his dark brown eyes which she always compared with melted chocolate. But right now, the melted chocolate had hardened with exhaustion and distress. "What? Why?"

"They had to cut back expenses. Guess that fucking expense was me."

"You could start working as a barber in Papa Roy's shop. You always cut my hair with such care, I'm sure you could make a living of it." Lizzie started to negotiate, pushing the thought aside that he had already enlisted as well as the knowledge there was nothing she could do to stop him that slowly started sinking in.

"Lizzie..."

"You could go ask Ms. Jones if she needs help in the bakery, now that Sue has left for nursing school."

"Lizzie-"

"I think Lady Rose is looking for a helping hand in the house because-"

"Lizzie, stop!" he took her by the shoulders and pushed her away from him so that he could look her better in the eye. She stopped her rambling immediately.

"Lizzie, I'm leaving in two weeks."

The young woman in front of him grew pale. "So soon?" she mouthed. He nodded and pulled her to him again.

After a few seconds had passed, she collapsed in his arms. Tears started spilling from her eyes and her legs couldn't support her weight anymore so that he had to sink down to the carpet floor together with her. While her pained sobs filled the small flat, he rocked her back and forth, blinking furiously as not to start crying too.

"Hey, it's okay. I'll be back in no time after we kicked Hitler's ass. Or put Hirohito back in his place again. You'll see, you won't even have the time to miss me and I'm back at your side. And when I'm back, we can start on flooding this flat with little Liebgotts, like I promised you."

Joe tried his best to calm her, but she could hear his voice break. "Just come back. And write to me. Please." She pulled him closer to her by wrapping her arms around his neck, connecting their lips for a short moment before she smiled at him, trying to put the gleam of hope that simmered in her chest over the nagging despair screaming in her mind.

"I love you" she whispered.

"I love you" he answered.

"I will be coming back to you. Just you wait."