38. I Remember...(ep49)

I love that there are so many fanfics that address the accident/amnesia plot and its aftermath. There are literally a dozen ways it could go, and this one is my take😊

We also found out today(07/17) that the series will end in 3 episodes and that really fueled my need to write. I want their love story remembered in a hundred different ways❤️

-------------------
Can
His day was not off to a good start. The allergies had really kicked in, and reading Sanem's book was taking an emotional toll. He could barely recognize himself in the book. He certainly couldn't identify with this great love that broke all barriers. But he also felt a void - like his soul was missing pieces. Pieces he couldn't even identify yet. The hut was his sanctuary, maybe it would help settle the deep disquiet in his heart. He tried to finish up some maintenance work, but his eyes kept straying back to the book on the table. It taunted him, holding up a mirror in front of him - except, he couldn't recognize the image he saw.

He heard a rustling in the grass and looked up to see Sanem approaching. She looked impossibly attractive in her short skirt and halter top, her sun-kissed skin glowing in the morning light. He wasn't blind and his senses weren't dead, he felt an immediate physical reaction to the sight of her. But there was nothing deeper at the moment, and he didn't want to give her false hope, so he quickly hid the book.

Sanem

Sanem was determined to restore his memories if it meant recreating every single moment they shared, come hell or high-water. When she heard that he was at the hut, she hurried over, with meat for the barbecue, and enough perfume sprayed on to give herself a headache, but it was worth it. She needed him back, like she needed air. She could feel herself slipping, feeling like she did when Can had left a year ago, and she couldn't let that happen again. She had earned her one true love. She deserved it, dammit!  They both did!

She approached him with a cautious "Merhaba", and then proceeded to spastically throw her head around in the hope that her perfume would invade his senses. But of course, he had a cold and could smell nothing.

Can and Sanem

They sat in quiet harmony eating the meat he barbecued, talking about the book, the valleys, and what they represented. When she realized that the chamomile steam had helped and he could smell again, she practically tripped over herself to recreate their first dance at the cabin.

She put the record on and all but demanded that he join her. He took her hand almost without thinking, and then realized the Can he knew would have turned down that dance. Maybe he didn't know himself so well after all.

She put a hand on his shoulder, moving closer tentatively. He saw the hope in her face, and instinctively pulled her closer still. The small smile of relief it elicited tugged at his heartstrings. What magical powers did this fiery, yet waif-like woman have that she made him feel protective about her in less than 24 hours.

She lay her head gently on his shoulder and he was hit with the whiff of  something heavenly- of wild flowers, and citrus, and the hint of a memory. His head moved of its own accord, seeking, wanting more, finding the crook of her neck where the scent was the strongest. He inhaled deeply and felt a stirring in his body, he mouth barely touched her skin as his head moved up, his lips grazing her cheek, stopping just shy of her lips. He paused, giving her a moment to consent.

She jerked back and looked into his eyes. Her shoulders fell at what she saw there. He was physically attracted to her, yes,  but there was nothing in his eyes.

She shook her head in disbelief and stepped back, her hand instinctively pressing the ring against her chest for comfort. 

"Sanem", he said, not sure what to say next. He knew why she had stepped back. His eyes followed her hand down to where she held it against her chest. He gestured to it, his voice full of concern. "Are you ok? Does it hurt there?"