two

two
-

"soojin?" soojin's mother asked. "will you be okay without us?"

soojin nodded and sat on the couch bundled up in blankets. she was at home sick, and she wasn't able to go to school because of her fever. her parents were worried for her because she was still pretty young— she wasn't even in high school yet. however, her parents had to go to work, which meant that soojin had to stay home alone. she only had a slight fever, so it wasn't too serious, and her parents were pretty sure she had a fever with a cold. soojin would be fine.

"if anything happens, call us. you know we work close to home," soojin's father gave her a kiss on the top of her head before he and soojin's mother left the house.

soojin waved as her parents left the house and stared in front of her at the blank screen of the tv. she snuggled into her blankets a little more, but she was still really cold. her throat didn't hurt that much, but she just felt awful. the tv remote was on the coffee table in front of her, but even leaning forward was the worst, so she stayed on the sofa.

"soojin, how are you?" a boy walked past the sofa and stood in front of her.

"i feel awful, hui," soojin let out a weak cough.

"you look awful," hui admitted.

"can you turn the tv on for me?" soojin pointed at the remote.

hui nodded. he picked up the remote and turned on the tv. soojin's favorite movie was playing on the channel that hui flipped to, and soojin smiled. hui set the remote back down on the coffee table and smiled at the girl. she looked awful, but it was nice to see her smile even though she was hurting. at that moment, soojin shivered, and hui looked at her with a concerned expression.

"are you cold?" hui asked.

soojin nodded. hui sat down on the couch next to her and put his arm over her shoulder. soojin looked up at him, confused.

"you can lean on my chest, it's okay," hui nodded.

soojin didn't really have a choice because as soon as he said that, she shivered again. hui hugged her tighter, and soojin found herself snuggling into hui's warm embrace. she stopped shivering as he hugged her, and she kept quiet as she watched the movie. sometime during the movie, she fell asleep because she was comfortable. she had never slept so comfortably before.

when she awoke, hui was gone, and her parents were entering the house. she greeted her parents then looked in front of her to see that the tv was off.

"did i turn the tv off?" soojin wondered out loud.

"what was that, darling?" soojin's mother asked.

"i thought the tv was on, but apparently not," soojin shrugged.

soojin also wondered where hui disappeared off to, but she kept that to herself. hui was her little secret.