Golden Hair

Note: the italicized sentences are the moments when they're singing.

Chapter 1: Golden Hair

"Lucas? Where are you, my dear friend?" Madelaine sniffed and peered behind a mammoth tree. She frowned when she only saw an empty patch of green, luscious grass. She wiped escaping tears with her bruised arm.

 "I have been hurt,
those people who do so-they only desert.
And those people that I call family, don't help with my own sanity."

She continued to walk through the garden of butterflies barefooted, grass tickled her feet as she stepped a foot after the other. Fluttering wings of orange and yellow surrounded her as she watched her steps, trying not to destroy freshly-bloomed petunias.

"Lucas, where are you my lovely friend?
I wish for you to hold me--now, forever and always.
I don't want a silly game of chase." 

As she heard a twig snap, she gasped and flicked her head towards the sound. She headed towards where the sound came from while she gently put a hand on every tree she passed, rough textures of barks stroked her palm. 

"I know that you're out there. I know who that man is in the shadows." 

"Princess," a voice whispered behind her. She felt warm air touch the nape of her neck. 

"Lucas!" she turned around, ready to hug her beloved friend but to her surprise, he wasn't there. Her eyes wandered around the forest only to stop and stare intently at someone's silhouette in front, shadows of trees covered him.

The man stepped into the light and started to run towards her with his long, dandy legs. A man with golden hair, eyes that shimmered under the night sky, and pale skin that glistened in the sunlight--Madelaine's flawless man. 

Madelaine cried out for him. She started to run towards him as well and held her long dress upwards because it weighed heavily around her waist, every step she took.

Lucas grabbed Madelaine's arms when they met but his wide smile disappeared as he stroked her bruised arm. 

"Princess! Oh my dearest Madelaine. What have they done to you, Madelaine?
Don't they know that you are mine?" 

Madelaine started to tear up but tried her best to hold it in.

"Angel of mine, t'was a man who said I was lovely, wanted me to drink with him some whine." 

Lucas shook his head in sadness, feeling sorry for the lady. "My, oh my--" 

"--He was a man with a head held high. Yes, his head was up in the clouds," she added as tears blurred her vision.

Lucas looked at her with pity, distraught to see Madelaine hurt again.

"Dear, my sweet little Madelaine,
What has he done to you, Madelaine? Doesn't he know that you are mine?"

"Please, hush now, I only need your arms to heal me," she said and she struggled to pull away from Lucas' grasp.

"But princess--" Lucas tightened his grip.

"Please, hush now, I need only need you to comfort me," Madelaine pleaded.

Lucas sighed and released Madelaine's arms. He then hugged her trembling shoulders and whispered sweet nothings to her. 

Madelaine bursted into tears and her knees started to fail her. Gently, Lucas guided her down on the ground as he too, kneeled on the soft grass.  

"I want to stay here, Lucas," Madelaine croaked between her sobs. "I want to be with you forever." 

He didn't break the silence and instead continued to stroke Madelaine's long hair as she sobs softly. After a while, he opened his mouth,

"Then say you'll spend your days with me under the warming sun.
Say you'll lie beside me, every cold night under the stars.
Will you go anywhere I go?" 

Madelaine looked up at him with her shiny brown eyes and opened her wet mouth to sing in return,

"I'll spend my days with you under the scorching sun, no matter how hot it'll be.
I'll lie beside you every night, no matter how cold it'll be.
Fill my soul with words of happiness." 

Together, they sang in unison.

"Anywhere you'll go, I will follow you." 

Their eyes locked into each other's as their mouths were slightly open, inches away from each other's lips. 

Madelaine felt Lucas' warm breath as she closed her eyes. Her heart beat quickened in her chest and she felt his soft hand gently going over the side of her waist, but then he stopped.

When she opened her eyes, Lucas had already pulled away, enjoying the view of their own little world. 

I wish we could kiss someday, I don't care how long I'll wait, Madelaine thought to herself as she stared at the back of Lucas' head.

"You're only mine, princess. Let us not forget that," Lucas whispered without looking at the maiden.

 Let us not forget that," Lucas whispered without looking at the maiden