ACT III

"Asher's in critical condition, she wanted to see you."

With these words I know I had to cancel where i'm heading and go wherever she might be. Is she sick? Few seconds after he called again, "Asher's in critical condition. She attempted suicide." WHAT?!! I was numbed for awhile, my heart pumped faster. "What happened? Why?" I need to see her soon. "My.. My sister... Always have a suicidal tendency. She... She was always depressed. We don't know why..." Suicidal? Why? She's living the dream already?! Because I cannot focus my eyes on the road, I pulled over the car beside the exit point of MIA. "I don't get this. I don't get this at all." I'm starting to weaken. I'm starting to feel a pain on my chest. "Since... Ever since she was 16... She... She attempted to cut herself several times already. That's why... My mother tried to switch her attention to something out of reality..."

"Magic." I figured, "because that's the only thing far away from reality that exists in the world." I continued. "R-r-right." He agreed. Since I cannot wait anymore, I asked him to tell where they are but Dave only texted the room number, so I called him back. "Where is she? You didn't text me which hospital." I asked but with a heavy voice. I'm tensed. He had a long pause, seems like a woman was whispering something to her. "Was it Asher? Can I talk to her?!" He seems hesitant. "Ugh... Francisco... She said... You should answer her riddle first for you to figure out the hospital." He's uncomfortable I can tell. Asher's commanding him something he doesn't want to do. "What the?!" I screamed. I can still hear a soft voice commanding him something I cannot understand. "Stop these games. Bloody hell, Asher, this is not funny!" I know she can hear me, I know i'm in a loudspeaker mode. "Asher will text you the details, she's in a hospital somewhere here in Manila, Room number OH DANG IT I WON'T DO THIS." And I heard a loud drop over the line. Dave cut off his call. I tried reaching him again many times and finally, he texted which hospital she was in.

As soon as I parked, I hurriedly run and took the stairs until the 8th floor because the elevator was jammed with patients. I cannot afford to lose another minute without knowing her condition. I stopped right infront of Rm number 18, regained my composure and wiped off my sweat. I heard a music tune playing inside. Must be coming from a.. Music box? I opened the door widely, and there I saw Asher, looking outside the window, resting her chin and elbows unto the top table beside her couch. She's wearing a hospital ward, but she looks fine. Can you believe it? Her hair was perfectly curled. "Ash, what the hell happened to you?" She ignored me and hummed the same music coming out from the piece of music box she's holding. It's Time After Time.. I think. "Where's Dave? Are you okay now?" She's still not answering, she's looking far away, still humming. "Ash!" I called her out, and she instantly closed the music box and faced me. Her face was still beautiful, but she got thinner. Is this the face of a suicidal creep?!

"Okay, you got me Francisco." She surrendered. "What?" I walked towards her and touched her wrists, her neck and her face. I checked her and it seems like nothing happened to her. "I'm fine Francisco, I just had a general check-up today." She finally admitted. "What the.... Did you lie to me?!" I asked. I'm angry. It wasn't a good joke! "I just want to have some fun." She held my hands, and then it climbed upto my waist and hugged me. She's sorry but I know she's flirting with me to get away with it. Not this time Asher. Not this time. I pulled away because of extreme disappointment. "Ugh, sucks to have lame brother." She stood up and picked up a phone lying on the ground beside the kitchenette. "He only have one job! How hard it is to lie? He could've given me back my phone, he doesn't need to drop it... Damn it." She said. So that's it, it was a game after all. She's not really sick, it was only a stunt. "You asked Dave to tell me you committed suicide because you're bored?!" I raised my voice. I am so mad, and at the same time I'm relieved she's safe. Part of me want to caress her already but my anger's consuming me. "That's the easiest way for me to see you. I'm sure you won't cancel your appointments for me." She said as she sat down and I rested on the couch facing her, still mad about her terrible joke. "Don't. Don't do that again." I commanded. She was just smiling. "Although it wasn't successful, I'm glad you went here. So, am I good artist? Am I convincing" Seriously? She has the guts to ask me that?! "Stop being a bitch Asher. You're better than that." I slipped. But she didn't get hurt, maybe she understood my sentiments about this matter. I panicked. I missed her for a month and then she will break a big bad news that turned out to be a hoax. "Sorry, I have no friends to try my experiment and observation to. You're the easiest guy I-" I didn't let her finish her sentence. "What? What did you say? You tried an experiment on me?" I asked. "Yes, and no. Yes I tricked you by acting all lonely and No because it's what we call conditioning." What the hell's conditioning? I paused for a moment and recall the things we talked about. Ah, my last conversation with her, she even got tears in her eyes! What the... I don't even know who I am talking to... "You see, if I didn't act like i'm depressed that night, you would have second thoughts on coming here. That's the power of illusion Francisco. You can fool even the smartest.. And... Not to mention the hottest guy I know without them knowing... Always, one step ahead." She winked at me.