Night's Creatures

Mathew Evans pulled up the hood on his raincoat. It was the end of August and summer had most certainly left the little village of Ducks Bottom behind. The sky overhead was dark grey and rain drowned the flowerpots and pavements. Flooding was badly affecting the village - damaging property and causing drainage issues. 

Mathew approached the church gate, pausing to examine a flyer. In bold print it warned, BEAST AT LARGE. Below this there was a picture of a fearsome wolf attacking a small child. Mathew scrunched up the poster and stuffed it into his pocket. The entire village was up in arms about this wolf that prowled the forests, the sceptic's declared that it was probably a large dog or fox. Yet even so, a curfew had been enforced in the area - nobody was allowed to walk the streets at night.

He walked up the slippery path and continued on it passed the quaint church building. He did note, with some pity, that ordinary window glazing now filled the ancient arches. He was here to ask for forgiveness but not from God. As he'd seen plainly from the window of his cottage, the cemetery contained one living occupant. Lucy Knight was crouched, one hand caressing the grass through her fingers, oblivious of the rainfall. She smelt Mathew's presence but stood up only reluctantly when he stopped beside her. Mathew didn't say a word - he fixed an intent gaze on Lucy and waiting patiently for her to form her attack. Lucy fixed on him a distrustful glare.

"You returned her." She stated, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"It was always my intention to do so." Mathew's voice was gentle but his calmness provoked her.

"What was your intention in digging her up in the first place?" She fumed. She stretched to her full height but still Mathew was at least a head taller.

"I did it to determine the real cause of death, which I did - death by werewolf." 

Lucy's shoulders hunched inward. Mathew's sad gaze fell on the gravestone before them, "I'm sorry."

"Why did you do that?" Lucy demanded stiffly. 

"I was worried that Jessica's death was the work of a vampire."   

"You knew about vampires...before-"

"Yes."

"Do you think a vampire took my father?" Lucy asked in a hushed voice. Mathew looked about them uneasily - both knew that Russell could be lurking in the shadows, hearing every word.

"It's a possibility," he murmured softly. 

'Russell?' Lucy mouthed, not daring to say his name out loud in case in should call the monster to them. Mathew nodded his head, his expression grim. Lucy balled her small hands into fists. "You stored my friend in a fridge." Her voice was cold with the barest hint of a snarl.

"You killed her." 

Lucy's thin chin jerked up.

"And I will kill you if you betray us. Remember that." 

Mathew's eyes widened but he nodded mutely. Lucy bared her human teeth, apparently satisfied. "Tell me everything you know."

**

"The rain is very loud." Sarah complained. Joe smiled at her.

"Maybe if you distracted yourself - you'd stop hearing it." He caressed her cheek. Sarah hadn't moved away from the window seat of her bedroom for a long time and everyone was worried about her.

"How? By reading a book, watching a film, creating my art?" Sarah's voice was bitter. Joe's smile vanished. He didn't understand what had happened - she refused to explain it to him but all her earlier optimism had vanished. She would be blind for the rest of her life.