1 | Test Me

I stroll down the front hall, swinging my keys next to my leg as I walk.

   The campus looked so much smaller on the website, this is fucking nuts.

   The wide and long hallway ends with an open room, and I walk to the older, blonde lady at the wooden desk.

"Sign in" is printed in fine letters on the front of it.

   She looks up from her laptop and smiles, thin wrinkles forming around her eyes, "Hello honey, you here to sign in?"

   I smile back and nod, setting my keys on the tall desk between us. "Anna Price, room 21, right?"

   The woman's tiny glasses slides down her nose a bit as she tilts her head down, scanning the clipboard full of names and numbers.

   "Oh there you are!" She giggles, pointing to the board, "You're new here, right?"

   Her still, green eyes meet my blue ones. I rest my elbows on the table and sigh, "Yeah haha, this place is bigger than the pictures I've seen."

   "It is, but don't worry, you'll be quick to memorize it all. Here," She hands me a key with the number "21" on it. A grin grows on her face and she holds out her hand slowly, "Pleased to meet you, doll. My name's Mrs. Adams, but you can call me Beverly. And if you need anything at all, I'm usually always on campus."

   I slide my hand in hers and she shakes it, smiling sweetly, "Okay, now go pack your things and meet your mentor, dear."

   I nod and mouth a quick 'thank you', before grabbing my keys off the table and turning back down the hall.

   I hope everyone here is as nice as her.

   I wander around the campus for awhile, searching for my dorm. I frown as I walk along the white walls, scanning the identical wooden doors that line the halls.

   "This is gonna be harder than I thought," I mumble lowly.

   After roaming around for a few minutes, I turn a corner to see a sign hanging from the ceiling with a set of numbers on it.

   "18...19...20..." I squint at the numbers on the doors as I walk, counting out loud, "21."

   I give a breath of relief as I shove my key into the door, before turning it and pushing the door open slowly.

   The room is small, with simple, modern furniture. A thin bed with a metal headboard against the wall, a mini fridge, a tiny flat screen and a desk. Nothing fancy, but it's better than I expected.

   After walking back down to my car and taking my suitcases back to my room, I've finally packed everything into the small space.  I wipe the coat of sweat off my forehead and pick up my keys, before pulling some Vans on quickly.

   Shutting the door behind me, I step foot into the hall and begin to walk to my assigned mentor's room, running a hand through my brown hair.

That's when I notice how dark it is outside, the windows in the hall showing nothing but a pitch black yard with a few light poles lighting up patches of grass.

   I continue down the building's corridors until I catch sight of a plaque marked "English, Room 29" next to a room with open doors. That's the room where I'm supposed to meet my mentor.

   An auditorium type classroom with narrow seating comes into view as I walk into the room.

   A beautiful lookout of the city around the campus shines through the windows on the main wall, reaching from top to bottom.

   There's no one here.

   My attention moves to a smaller desk on the opposite side of the room. I amble to it, a single picture frame and enveloped letter piquing my curiosity.

   Leaning over the desk, I pick up the silver framed picture.

   I examine the faces; Two people sit together, a tanned guy with short black hair and scruff. The other has tousled thick, blond hair and brown eyes. They look like they're in their twenties.

   I set it back into the table carefully, my hand wandering to the letter that sits on top of a MacBook.

   My finger skims the words on the front as I read aloud, "My beloved son."

   It's unopened, the seal untouched.

   My brows furrow slightly as I pick it up.

   "Do you need something?"

   I turn around hastily, my eyes growing a bit. I set the letter back onto the desk without looking away from him.

   It's the blonde from the picture.

   "Uh," I stand up straight as he walks closer, stopping in the middle of the room, "I was told this is the room my mentor would be in..."

    His hands cross over his chest and his head tilts back slightly.

   He lifts a brow. "Do you know what time it is?"

   "Uh... I didn't really..."

   He tilts his head somewhat, looking at me expectantly, "And do you normally go snooping through strangers things like that?"

   My mouth instantly drops, my mind goes blank as I think of what to say.

   "I-It's not like I was looking through drawers or something, it was just sitting on the desk and..."

   His face turns to annoyance as I continue talking and it's apparent that he's irritated. His pressed lips show me impatience, though his eyes remain steady.

   "I'm sorry? I was just looking around, I didn't mean to upset you."

   The man rolls his eyes and walks behind the desk, picking up the letter and sliding it under his laptop quickly.

   I take a few steps away from him as he sets his hands on the table, scowling, "Did you touch anything else?"

   My mouth gapes a little, my brows furrowed. Is he serious?

   His lips from into a tight, sarcastic smile, and his brown eyes burn into mine.

   "I was just looking—"

   "Is it yours to look at?" He glares at me with dark, daring eyes. "It's funny, usually people don't rummage through other people's things without their permission."

   I scoff and laugh ironically.

   "It's funny, I didn't read anything about pathetic asshats like you on the website."

   His expression hesitates a bit, but he quickly recovers, running a hand through his hair.

   "We'll aren't you charming."

   I stare at him in astonishment. "Don't you have other places you need to be a dick at?"

   He looks up at me, an annoyed smile masking his face.

Humor drips from his voice as he talks, a fake smile plastered across his face, "Why would I want to be anywhere else when I can deal with annoying brats like you?"

My jaw clenches and my lips curls. My head leans towards him as I whisper softly.

"Burn. In. Hell."