3 | Acting Out

"Alright. Well, I've got to print out her ID and information, so I'll leave you guys to it."

   Mrs. Watts clasps her hands together and smiles at Mr. Ko before exiting through the classroom doors.

Mr. Ko turns to face us, running a hand through his thick hair.

Though his eyes avoid me, skipping through each student as he begins class.

"On behalf of our new student," he pauses, resting his hands on the desk behind him, "We should play a game."

"A game?" Someone, a deep voice, questions behind me.

"Mhm."

He glances at me, but only for a second.

My brows furrow as he looks away.

"Everyone stands up once. Say your name, your age," He lifts his arms off the desk, pacing slowly across the room, "And then you may ask me one question."

   Girl voices murmur behind me. Someone giggles, and I roll my eyes.

   "Ava first. All the way down."

   He watches as I hear someone behind me stand up.

   "My name is Ava Ramirez, and I just turned 18 about a week ago." A moment goes by as she thinks of a question. Or maybe she'd been wanting to ask it, "Are you in a relationship?"

The ginger next to me taps my shoulder, and I turn my head as she fake gags. I cover a snicker, shaking my head.

"No, Ava. I'm not in a relationship."

A few girls whisper around the room.

"Nathan, you're up."

This goes on for awhile, until the redhead girl next to me stands.

I learn that her name is Sarah White. 18 years old, she mentioned that she was born and raised from Chicago. Asked about his family, he didn't answer.

"Mrs. Price, it seems you're last."

A smug smile marks his face.

I purse my lips. I pull myself off the seat, shoving my hands in my jean pockets.

"Anna Price. 17, going on 18. I don't really care enough to ask about your personal life... in fact, I think I know enough about you already."

I smile sweetly, sitting back down.

His eyes settle on me as he begins to instruct the class.

"Alright," He flicks his gaze to the time, "We have about twenty minutes. I'll explain our first lesson for tomorrow."

He goes over a few poem titles, letting the class vote for an author, though I don't pay much attention.

Hiding it behind the person in front of me, I check the messages on my phone, seeing a new text from my aunt.

Aunt Emily

Hey honey, you should come visit your grandmother as soon as school gets out today. It's urgent.

Oh. What did they find now?

"Mrs. Price, is there a reason you're on your phone in the middle of class?"

I sigh, lifting my head up.

"I got an important text from my—"

"I actually don't care." He walks up the stairs next to the auditorium-type bleachers, stepping next to my aisle seat.

He holds his open hand out to me, completely expressionless except for a raised eyebrow.

"Phone. Now."

"I just—"

"I said," His humorous eyes gleam, his mouth smirking slightly, "Give me your phone."

He waits a few seconds, the only sound being students' breathing as they watch.

"No."

"No?"

He gives a slightly shocked face, though mockingly. A smile tugs at his mouth, as well as his brows.

"It was important, alright—"

He pinches the bridge of his nose with his free hand, closing his eyes briefly. "You're violating school policies; having your phone out in class without permission, talking back to a teacher, refusing an order of punishment. I'm sorry, this won't be tolerated."

   I let out a long breath and look in front of me, refusing to face him.

"Two weeks of detention. Now... hand me your phone. You can get it back after school hours."

   Sarah quickly nudges my leg. Fine.

   I set it in his hand, watching his fingers wrap around it easily.

   He begins down the aisle, before walking over and setting my phone in his desk drawer, "See me after school to get your phone back."

   "That's so unfair!"

   "I know, right?" I scoff and lean a shoulder against the locker next to mine. "It's like he looks for a reason to torture me."

   Sarah crunches her nose before helping me shove one of my books in my locker. "Maybe he has it out for you."

   I fold my hands over my chest. "Yeah. Maybe."

   "But one thing I don't get is wh—"

   "Hey, blue eyes!"

   We turn to face the boy approaching us.

"Oh, hey Felix. Uh, this is Sarah," I gesture to her, another goofy grin on her face.

"Nice to meet you," He smiles at her before looking back to me. "Hey, mind if I join you guys for lunch tomorrow?"

"Sure." A crooked, adorable smile beams on his face.

His hazel eyes dance in the sunlight as he examines my face, probably trying to read my thoughts.

   "So, you grew up here?"

   No, I moved in with my grandmother a few weeks ago from New York. "Yeah. Did you?"

   "Yeah, actually. My mom raised me by herself, just outside of Seattle."

   "A momma's boy, eh?" We smile and he chuckles a bit.

   "I guess so."

   "I gotta go, Anna." Sarah looks at her smartwatch quickly before adjusting the book bag strap on her shoulder. She grins impishly, her eyes teasing, "Have fun with your detention with Mr. Ko"

   She turns on her heels and wanders down the corridor.

   "Detention, huh?" I turn to him.

   "In self defense, he was being a dick."

   Felix simpers playfully. "Ah, sounds like him."

   The bell rings and he nudges my shoulder, picking up my book bag that's laying beside our feet and swinging the strap over his own shoulder. "C'mon. I'll walk you there."

   I'm so gonna regret this.