Lunch Special

Jared's POV

I lean against the wall for support, the chill of the metal locker a much needed relief against my skin. Though the locker immediately warms up under my heat. I need to calm down and make sense of things. Almost disoriented or maybe hysterical with emotions, I can't tell. I manage to make it four steps over to a water fountain, so suddenly parched I gulp down so much water till it's dripping down my chin. It takes me a moment to straighten up, then the realization hits me.

I imprinted.
I imprinted...
Kim is my imprint, my god damn soul mate.
Out of every other 8 billion people on this rock, my other half, I'm meant to be with Kim. Nothing has ever made such sense.

I chase after Kim with my eyes, twisting my head over the crowd to get one last look at her. Not like it's a difficult, ever since I changed I'm a head taller than everybody else.

I instantly find her smack middle of the mob. Just the sight of her makes my chest seizes up, yet all the while it's easier to pull air into my lungs, and the ground under me feels sturdier and the day brighter. My heart pounds double time when I catch her trying to steal a glance at me. I use to hate how Kim always annoyingly peaked at me all damn day, now it shoots a surge of excitement up my spine.

When our eyes meet my feet move on their own in Kim's direction. She hesitates for a second, going completely still before deciding to meet me halfway. The crowd pushes against her as she struggles over to me like a fish going up stream. My hands ache with the most overwhelming need to protect her from all those pointed looks and shouldering that I nearly shift right here in front of everybody.

With no choice, I abruptly halt in the middle of hallway, biting down on my teeth till my molars threaten to ache. I forcibly steady myself, taking deep breathes, and trying to clear my mind like Sam told me too. 1, 2, 3... inhale through my nose then steadily exhale out my mouth.... and finally be present—whatever that means.

"Jared?" All my tension smoothes away at the sound of Kim's voice. Up close I'm noticing things about her I never bothered to pay attention to before. Like how her hair is actually a warm dark brown instead of black, or how her smile has a sweet looking overbite, or how she doesn't come up to my chin anymore now that I've changed but instead has to tilt her head back to look up at me.

"Jared?" Kim calls after me again, the concerned tone in her voice making me realize how I was just gaping down at her.

"Um," I swallow thickly, forcing down the words 'I fell for you' down my throat. I try to opt for a smile, but it's too eager and I can't help how big it instantly spreads, so I end up grinning into my hand. I can't scare her off. Talking to Kim use to be much easier when I didn't like her, that charming flirty Jared who always found her annoying could say anything and that would make her day.

But now? Where the hell do I even begin?

"Kim?" I clear my throat, pressing a firm hand over the rapid beating left of my chest. "I—when I was away—wait, no..."

"Oh," Kim's brown eyes brighten with realization. "You want to copy my history notes, right? Sure, I guess—" It hurts like hell seeing her face fall like that.

"No." I cut her off too hastily. I keep screwing up with her! "That's not what I mean..."

"It's just.... thanks for asking how I've been." Coming out of my mouth it's undeniable how stupid I sound, but it's the first sensible thing not about werewolves and imprinting that comes to mind. I have to bury my hands into my pockets to keep them from reaching out to pull her into me. Now that the shock/adrenaline rush of imprinting is starting to ebb away, some logic starts to settle in its place. As much as this is instant and forever for me, I'm still the guy who ignores Kim from just twenty minutes ago.