Chapter One

Elle Carter woke up one sunny Sunday morning to the sound of someone loudly knocking on her bedroom door. Elle was an eleven year old girl who lived in an orphanage on the outskirts of London, England. She had long, straight blonde hair that fell down her back, big blue eyes, and a smattering of freckles on the bridge of her nose.

"Elle, get up! There's a letter here for you!" shouted Sarah, a seven-year-old girl who also lived in the orphanage.

Elle, who was lazily rubbing her eyes, quickly sat up. She had a fleeting hope that it was a letter telling her that she had been adopted, but as soon as the thought entered her head, she dismissed it. No one had been interested in adopting a child from the orphanage in over a year, so there was no reason for her to believe that someone wanted to adopt her.

"Just a second," Elle replied to Sarah. She rolled out of bed then padded her way over to the door, shivering as her feet touched the cold, concrete floor. She opened the door to find Sarah bouncing back and forth on the balls of her feet with a letter clutched in her small hands. But Sarah wasn't the only one waiting outside the door. A few feet behind the young girl stood a tall, sharp-looking woman whom Elle had never met before.

The woman spoke first and said, "It's nice to meet you, Elle. My name is Professor Minerva McGonagall." The woman stepped beside Sarah and offered her hand. Elle nervously stepped forward to shake it. "Do you have a minute to sit down and talk?" Professor McGonagall inquired.

Elle shook her head yes in stunned silence.

"Very good. Sarah, would you mind handing Elle her letter? I'm afraid our conversation needs to be private," the woman spoke kindly to Sarah, clearly having been introduced to her minutes earlier.

With a small 'tut' of frustration, Sarah handed over the letter and quickly walked down the hall.

"May I come in?" asked the professor.

"Oh, yes of course," stuttered Elle, suddenly becoming embarrassed that she was in her pajamas. She stepped back and fidgeted with her shirt, realizing how well dressed the woman was compared to her. Elle glanced around her small room, wishing she had a few moments notice to make her bed. She had just woken up, so the sheets were still strewn about, but otherwise the room was tidy. Elle's room consisted of a small bed in the back left corner, a desk, a small window, and a skinny wardrobe for her clothes.

Elle pulled out the desk chair and motioned for the woman to sit in it before smoothing out her sheets and sitting on the edge of her bed. However, the woman stayed standing. Feeling embarrassed, Elle blushed as she stood up, mimicking the woman. 

Professor McGonagall stated, "I would sit down, dear, but I don't have long before I have to leave. I am sure you're wondering why I am here."

Elle nodded, suddenly glued to the woman's every word. She had never had a visitor in the eleven years since she had been at the orphanage.

The woman continued, "You may open your letter if you'd like."

Elle had forgotten that she had been holding something. She turned it over and ripped open the envelope. Inside were two sheets of paper. As she pulled them out, Professor McGonagall explained, "As you can read in the letter, you have been accepted into a school known as Hogwarts. It is a school that will teach you about abilities that, until now, you were probably unaware that you possess. It is a school of magic." Before Elle could refute her claims, Professor McGonagall raised a thin wooden stick in front of her and conjured a beautiful turquoise butterfly out of thin air.

Elle peered up at the woman and the fluttering butterfly, finding the woman's words impossible to believe. She asked to see more magic, and the woman complied, understanding how difficult it is for some to believe at first. Then the woman explained the basics about Hogwarts, the wizarding world, and how wizards live in secret from Muggles, or people who aren't magical.

"Now, after you change into some clothes, we can be off to go purchase the items on the list enclosed in your letter," instructed the woman.

"We, Ms. McGonagall?" questioned Elle.

Professor McGonagall gave a quick smile and said, "Yes, we have to get your school materials. And you may call me Professor. I will be one of your teachers at school."

Elle looked down and whispered that she couldn't go because she didn't have any money to buy the things listed in the letter. Professor McGonagall replied, "No worries, dear. Hogwarts has funds set aside to help students who are unable to afford their school materials."

And just like that, after changing into a pair of worn blue jeans, an old white t-shirt, and trainers, Elle and the woman left the orphanage together. Elle's whole life had been changed in a matter of minutes.