Chapter Thirty-Three

Elle woke up in an empty room. She got to her feet as quickly as she could, her head pounding. She realized that her wand was missing as she felt around her cloak for it. She scanned the room and sighed, knowing the Death Eaters had taken it.

Elle heard steps coming from outside the door and stood her ground, anxiously waiting. The door swung open, and there stood Narcissa Malfoy. The pretty woman slipped in the room and quietly shut the door, saying, "Shh. We don't have much time."

Elle opened her mouth to retort, but Narcissa continued, "Elle, I knew your parents, and I want to help you. I know you have no reason to trust me, but you will if you don't want Fred Weasley to die."

With these words, Elle closed her mouth and listened.

"The Dark Lord is planning on murdering you both if you don't comply," she continued, "I don't have time to explain, but the Dark Lord will not kill you for going against him. Tonight he is going to ask you one last time to join him. He is planning on making you a Death Eater, and if you do, he might consider letting Fred go. If you don't, you both will die."

Then, Narcissa glanced nervously back at the door and whispered, "I have to go before they realize I'm gone." And as quickly as she had come, the woman was gone with a click, which Elle knew was the magical locking of the door.

Elle's heart hammered in her chest. She thought through every possible scenario for how to get out of this. But where was Fred? Were they hurting him? Elle couldn't see why Narcissa would have lied to her. Perhaps to convince Elle that she should join the Death Eaters? But it would be much easier to just kill her. This reminded her of Narcissa's warning about Fred. They were going to kill him if she didn't join them. 

For what felt like an eternity, Elle sat against the wall anxiously debating what she could do to get her and Fred out of this safely. Then, like before, Elle heard footsteps. She got up to her feet defensively, waiting for the door to swing open.

This time she was greeted by Antonin Dolohov who muttered with a malicious smile, "The Dark Lord will see you now."

He grabbed Elle roughly by the arm and dragged her down several flights stairs into the familiar large room where she had last been tortured. Her mind racing wildly; she tried to devise a plan, but her mind went blank at the sight of Voldemort. She needed to be careful, she knew he was one of the best Legilimens alive.

"Ah, thank you, Dolohov. You may rejoin us," said the cold, unearthly voice. The man released his strangled grip on Elle and returned to his spot at the long table, where there sat two dozen Death Eaters.

"Come closer," Voldemort hissed, his red eyes glinting in the light from the fire.

Elle walked closer to the table, trying to ignore the jeers and disturbing remarks coming from many of the wizards.

"You have been difficult to catch, I will admit," Voldemort continued, eyeing Elle. "But now you are here, and you will not leave again." His voice was full of partially suppressed anger now. Elle knew better than to speak unless asked to and stayed silent.

Voldemort stood up, his black robes cascading around him as he paced. Elle eyed the wand that was being twirled between his fingers. Dumbledore's wand. 

Voldemort stared at Elle and said, "You will either join me or you will die."

Elle made up her mind right then about what she was going to do. Looking Voldemort in the eye, she replied saying, "If you let Fred go."

Voldemort laughed, a high-pitched cry that sent chills down Elle's body. The rest of the table erupted into derisive laughter too, evidently finding her words as funny as Voldemort. "Do you really think you are in a position to make conditions?" Voldemort asked.

As calmly and confidently as she could, she repeated, bowing her head slightly, "If you let Fred go, it would be the highest honor to join your ranks, My Lord. I am sorry for taking so long to see that this is where I truly belong." Elle used occlumency and cleared her mind. She filled her thoughts with what she hoped Voldemort sensed was honesty and desire to be a Death Eater.

Under normal conditions, Elle would have never tried to make this bargain, but she sensed the Dark Lord's intentions. Voldemort needed her for something, and it was only something that she and she alone could do. Otherwise, he would have killed her a long time ago.

The laughter died out as the Death Eaters sensed the change in the Dark Lord's mood. "Wormtail!" hissed Voldemort, causing a small, stubby man to almost fall out of his seat. "Go fetch our other prisoner and his wand."

Elle breathed, relieved, as Wormtail scurried off to get Fred. The Dark Lord must have believed her. The room seemed smaller, as if the walls were caving in. No one spoke a word or even seemed to breathe as they waited for Wormtail's return.

Wormtail hurried back, his silver hand gripped tightly on Fred's arm, and both of their wands in the other. Voldemort had resumed his normal sneer as Fred was brought into the room. Elle breathed a sigh of relief as she saw that Fred was okay, but quickly looked away from him, not allowing herself to make eye contact.

Voldemort spoke slowly, "Ahh, a Weasley.."

Fred ignored the Dark Lord, looking at Elle. He asked her, "El, are you alright?"

The Dark Lord flicked his wand, causing Fred's gaze to be snapped still back towards him. Elle looked at Fred and could tell he couldn't breathe.

"Please let him breathe," she begged. "I'm ready to become a Death Eater. I've been waiting for this moment to prove myself."

With her sudden eagerness, Lord Voldemort considered her, then let his hold on Fred's breath go. Fred coughed and gasped for breath before exclaiming, "Elle, no!"

"SILENCE!" Lord Voldemort yelled, causing the hairs on the back of everyone's necks to stand up. This was the voice he used when he was feeling most murderous.

"Quiet, you insolent boy," he continued, regaining his smooth, cold voice. "Your little girlfriend is not who you think she is. She wishes to finish the legacy her parents started."

"Elle, no," she heard Fred whisper, hurt and confused.

Voldemort laughed and Elle heard whoops from the long table. With a quick flick of his wand, Fred disappeared.