Chapter 2

Lucy's Pov

"Mama?"

"Hmm?" She hummed in reply as she continued to chop up the vegetables.

"What's it like to have a mate?" I asked innocently.

At this she paused. The knife still in her hand. She smiled. I loved her smile. It could light up anyone's day.

"It's.... amazing. Wonderful. It's not something that can exactly be described." She put down the knife and turned around to face me.

The sun shone through the kitchen window on mom's face. Her blond hair looked golden and her hazel eyes became even brighter.

"Having a mate and sharing a bond with them is something even deeper love. It's the most beautiful thing in the world. To be with the one that's destined only for you. Hmm, why do you ask hun?"

I looked down at my hands that were in my lap. I was seated on a stool at the counter. I frowned.

It was quiet except for the pot that was cooking the meat on the stove.

I looked up when mom appeared before me, concern etched on her face. "What's wrong? You can talk to me hunny."

I sighed. "Is... is the one I'm going away with my mate?"

Mama froze for a bit before clenching her hand into a fist. I could feel her anger and sadness. She pulled me in for a hug.

Tears stung my eyes and escaped. Her lack of response was enough.

His son was not my mate yet he still wanted me to be his.

"It's not fair, Mama." I sobbed. "It's not fair."

"What not fair Lulu?"

My eyes snapped opened. I silently gasped for air. I shook my head before looking around to see I was still in the living room on the couch.

'I must have fallen asleep.'

I felt a small hand on my left cheek. "You cried in your sleep again Lulu." My little brother, Tommy, stated as he wiped away my tears. "And you sleep talk too." He added.

I closed my eyes and I sighed. That wasn't just a dream. It was a memory. I was only eleven years old when I had that conversation with my mom.

I took a deep breath before opening my eyes again. Immediately hazel eyes similar to my own greeted me. Tommy was a cute little boy with short ash blond hair, almost chubby cheeks, and a loving personality to along with it. He had beautiful hazel eyes.

I gave him a small smile. "Sorry Tom. I was crying in my sleep over the fact that girls are going to take you away cause of your handsome look⎯" Before I could even finish Tommy scowled at the obvious lie.

Well... I wasn't lying about the handsome looks tho.

Being the offspring of a Beta tends to make them more mature and inclined with their wolf from a young age. Tommy is a perfect example.