Chapter one

"A great flood is coming to wipe out every creature that moves along the ground, or soars in the sky. God will put an end to you for he has seen a great wickedness in your hearts. Repent and follow God Almighty, Lord of all."

         Tiamat rolled her eyes and sighed at Noah and his ridiculous prophecies. She just wanted to throw her rotten fruit at him already, but Delondra's sharp nails bit into her arm, warning her to wait. A jeering man beside Tiamat jostled her and she stumbled back. Her back bumped into the person behind her and he shoved her back towards Delondra. She quickly righted her footing and caught her balance just in time to avoid colliding with her.

         The cold, slimy juice of her rotten fruit ran down her fingers creating a large puddle beneath her. But still she waited for Delondra's go ahead. The memory of the last time she had crossed Delondra was fresh in her mind.

         "Delondra!" 10-year-old Tiamat shrieked, "Please! I won't do it again! I'm sorry!"

        "You think I care about your apologies!" A sharp slap caused her ears to ring. Tiamat couldn't see anything. She could only faintly smell the punu-kuo'n juice on Delondra from the spill that had caused this.

         "Stop!"

         Tiamat could still hear her own screams two years later and see Delondra's cruel smile looking down on her. Finally, she released Tiamat's arm and she didn't hold back as she swung with all her might. With a thwack, it landed square in Noah's face. A perfect bullseye. She might even get a little extra food for that one, depending on how well Delondra does. Tiamat snickered at Noah's now slimy face and slipped through the crowd while Delondra was distracted. 

          Tiamat left behind the golden-brick fountain of Atlantis Golden Square and raced down the dusty roads of her not-so-homey home. Ducking past the immoral statues and naked models, Tiamat zig-zagged her way through the streets and headed towards her favorite bakery.

         The smell of puffca'mel, gingarjao, and cocatte desserts led her right to the treasures waiting for her. Slowly, Tiamat scoped out her target. The pig-headed baker had left a loaf of figdate bread out on the sil. And none of the people walking by would care if it was stolen. So it was only the baker she had to watch out for.  Aea was going to love the figdate bread.

         Carefully, Tiamat pulled her long black hair back and crept over to the sil. Her mouth watered as the tangy smell hit her nose and for a second she just breathed it in. Then she gently slipped the figdate loaf off the sil and ducked away. But before she had gone three steps a deep voice called out behind her, "Whats you doing, girly?"

         Tiamat tensed before her harden instincts forced her into sprint with her pursuer on her heals. "Dirty thief!" The gruff voice shouted along with a number of profanities, but no one else listened. It was normal for a thief to run down the street with someone shouting profanities. Twisting and turning she tried to lose him but it was of no use. He was right on her. Tripping, Tiamat went head over heels and landed at the feet of an older woman with a groan.

         Tiamat jerked her head up to get a good look at her pursuer. He was a tall man, probably had some Nephilim in him, with dark black hair and a glare that froze her insides. But he did seem a little familiar. "I've got you now you filthy pickpocket," he spat.

         Pulling out a dagger, he lunged for her. Tiamat screamed and curled in on herself, waiting for the searing pain of the dagger piercing her side. Slowly time ticked by as she waited, but no pain came. Tiamat carefully cracked open her eyes only to see the jagged tip of the dagger hovering inches away from her small nose. The older woman standing above her, now had the man's arm twisted behind his back.

         The woman's white hair frizzed out of her bun, and her dark brown eyes penetrated the man's skull. "Leave her alone." Her sweet voice was laced with poison and it made the man drop his knife. "Now run along, Namhu."

         Namhu grudgingly complied, "I will get you for this, thief. You can count on that." He strutted back to the bakery, but not before shooting Tiamat a foul smirk.

         "Well, I never expected meet him at the market." The old woman spun to face Tiamat who unintentionally squirmed when her warm brown eyes met Tiamat's emerald. "My name is Naamah. What's yours, dear?"

         Naamah stretched out a hand. Tiamat warily took it, pulling herself up to full height. "Tiamat," She nodded curtly as she clutched the loaf tight against her body while trying to hide it in the folds of her small skirt.

         "So, Tiamat, what are you doing stealing from a man like that?" Naamah seemed nice enough, but in Atlantis looks could be deceiving.

         "I..um...I.." Tiamat stumbled as she searched for the right words.

         "It's okay. I understand." Naamah smiled sweetly and walked off towards the city's golden gates. Tiamat stared after her before she shook herself out of the daze that had taken hold of her. She spun on her heel and darted back to the house with her figdate loaf and an interesting tale to tell everyone.