CHAPTER 29: 30th Floor

2020, The Other World, Outside Wendy's House

Wendy didn't look back. She wasn't wearing any shoes because she didn't have time to grab a pair from her front door. All she could think of the moment she stepped out of the window was to keep running. In her autopilot state, she found herself gasping for breath at the bus stop nearest to her house.

She slumped down on the seat, trying to register what had happened. Some passers-by shot her strange looks. Well, she couldn't blame them. She was dressed in her sloppy pyjamas after all. A bus approached the stop, and people got on or alighted. She didn't know where she would go, she didn't have time to grab anything, not even her phone or wallet.

Occasionally, she checked behind her to see if her father had followed her. She knew that it was a terrible decision to remain at the bus stop, since it was probably one of the first places her father would go to if he was really that bent on searching for her.

Her mind was in a mess. Her very first concern was Karla. She'd only been a few seconds down her window but when she looked up again, Karla had drawn the curtains, blocking any view of the interior of her room. Her chest tightened at the thought of Karla not being able to leave the room in time, and prayed that her father would continue to treat Karla as if she was invisible if that happened. She just wanted to know that she was okay, but there was no way she could turn back now.

Her mind was still slightly hazy from her sleep, and she tried to remember what had happened. She remembered being in Neverland when the pirates attacked Hangman's Tree. Then they had rescued Lily and they were flying back to her bedroom... She must have fallen asleep after returning.

The day felt longer than eternity already. Her mind went back to the drawing she found that morning, then to discovering that Neverland was the afterlife, then her first failing grade, her fight with Rachael, then... now, being chased after by her own father with a golf umbrella.

She'd been sitting there for a mere five minutes before another bus pulled up at the stop. Nobody got on, but out of the corner of Wendy's eyes, she saw someone alight hastily.

"Girl, what are you doing here in your PJs and no shoes??" Rachael's voice prompted Wendy to look up. Wendy studied her. She wasn't exactly dressed very well either, considering she looked like she had only managed to throw on a sweater before she had come rushing over for whatever reason.

"Rach, I need help, please," Wendy pleaded, grabbing Rachael's hands in hers.

Rachael's eyes were more concerned than angry, and Wendy was glad that Rachael wasn't going to confront her about their last video call. At least not now.

"What happened?" Rachael probed, taking a seat beside Wendy. "I called to apologise for making you upset. You weren't picking up your phone, so I got worried. You've been acting strange the whole of today."

Wendy didn't say anything. Rachael sighed.

"Alright, I'm sorry I called you a show-off, okay?" she said apologetically, squeezing Wendy's hand to prompt a response from her.

After a while, Wendy finally spoke. "That wasn't fair," she said, managing to put on a tired thought genuine smile.

Rachael laughed. "Yeah, it wasn't."

Wendy was serious now. "You have to go to my house. Just...help me see if Karla's okay."

Rachael nodded, listening intently as Wendy told her briefly about what happened. Rachael handed her house key and some coins to Wendy immediately after she stopped talking.

"Go, you'll be safe there. There's no one at home, help yourself with the fridge while I sort this out," Rachael commanded, and wasting no time, she bolted in the direction of Wendy's house.