Chapter Fifteen

The last few days I've been here in the city were so fun! We spent a fuck-ton of time in the library though! I read through Lemony's first book by now and thought it was great, although I did have to look at my eyes in a mirror for like twenty straight minutes after reading that they are "a dark gray, like they'd once been black but somebody had washed them or perhaps had made her cry for a long time."

" Damnit... He's not wrong. " I had mumbled to my reflection before returning to the book.

I had also tried on that gorgeous dress and it fit like a glove somehow! I loved it! I also put on the mask to see how it looked and had a fit of giggles thinking about how much Ornette would fangirl if she saw me in this getup! I had a hard time concealing my excitement as well, if I'm being honest.

The evening of the masquerade ball was quite hectic. Kit and I were helping eachother get ready. She preferred simplicity, and decided on a lovely baby blue gown and a matching mask. "And I think you're ready." She smiled, handing me my mask.

"Thanks! Do you think Lemony will like it?" I asked as I put it on.
"Is that even a question? Come on!" Kit dragged me out of the room.

I smoothed out the skirt of my gown before stepping into the foyer where Lemony was standing. "How do I look?" I asked, my cheeks burning from blushing.

"For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful." He smiled.
I blushed even harder. "Ahem... You know flattery isn't my thing."
" Okie dokie, Mox. Come on; we know what happens when we leave Jacques and his girlfriend alone for too long... "

Even though I didn't know the instance they were talking about, I understood the implications. I've met Olivia and she's just the sweetest thing! I can't even explain in words how well we get along - Kit too! I was super happy Kit and I get along as well! Lemony and I sat back with Jacques and Olivia, who were both reading calmly (but yes I did see he tried on some of his girlfriend's lipstick). Olivia had a lovely yellow gown and her mask was decorated to resemble a lioness (which I found fitting since Jacques' pet name for her is "Kitten"; fucking adorable am I right?).

Lemony silently nudged his brother to get his attention and whispered something I couldn't hear to him, but it obviously got him to clean up the lipstick Olivia left. I turned my attention towards the window to admire the landscape of the estate. I felt Lemony set his arm around my shoulder. I looked over and he was gazing at me lovingly.

" What are you gawking at? " I chuckled quietly, easing into his touch.
"I've seen a lot of things I couldn't help staring at. I have quite a list of them in my head. You in an elegant gown is now at the top of that list." He answered, still all dreamy-eyed.

I giggled slightly. "Thank you, Lemony." I said , giving him a kiss on the cheek. "I like your mask by the way. You and Jacques have similar ones, I see!"
Lemony grinned. "We always wear these!"
"He's tragedy, and I'm comedy." Jacques added.
"Which is pretty accurate, I'd say." Olivia chuckled.

That night I met a lot of Lemony's friends, which was great! They all seemed to really like me too! It did take a little bit of getting used to how many female friends Lemony has and I tried the best I could to control my jealous tendencies.

I had a wonderful evening then and Lemony and I both agreed that we'd find a way to make our relationship work after I returned to Stain'd-by-the-Sea.