Chapter Twenty-Nine

He slid into the booth smiling, "I missed you."

"It was only three hours," I replied back blankly.

He frowned, "That was still a long time."

I ignored his remark and cut straight to the point, "Phoenix do you really care about me?"

He paused taken aback, "Of course I do Ivory."

"Are you sure?"

"Love what are you doing? Of course I care for you, your my girlfriend."

"I'm really starting to think you don't. This whole relationship started as a bet right? Why would anyone care for poor little Ivory Saffron, right?" I leaned in slightly, I could feel the corners of my eyes starting to sting but I wasn't giving in yet.

He leaned in and placed his hands on mine, "Ivory, you know I regret ever thinking that, you changed me. I want you, I care for you."

I pulled my hands away from him, "That's what Alex told me."

"Love where is all of this coming from?" He leaned even closer, his face etched with concern.

I didn't answer as I pulled the picture from Eve up. I held it in front of his face and stayed silent as he took it all in.

"Ivory-"

I interrupted him and shook my head, "I can't do this again Phoenix. I can't take it, I barely survived it the last time."

"Ivory let me explain please-" His eyes were getting glassy as he pleaded.

"No Phoenix, I told you the more people you let in the more that can walk out," I stood up, I had to get out of there before I broke down.

"Ivory no-" I didn't hear him as I was backing away, and then breaking into a sprint to my car. I quickly slid in and locked the door, closing my eyes as the tears started to come.

There was knocking on the window and muffled pleas, "Ivory please, let me explain. I swear, it's not what it looks like."

I covered my face with my hands as every emotion washed over me, my mind completely taken over by the past:

~Two Years Earlier~

"You excited Ivy?" Kai asked with a grin as he parked the car out front of the house, we both had recently gotten our licenses.

I smiled slightly, "I wish Alex could have come."

Kai chuckled, "He's just lame. Don't worry, there are plenty more parties that you can drag him to."

I nodded, "Let's go find Jax."

"He's probably avoiding Olivia Wallace because he can't seem to figure out how to tell a girl you like her," Kai laughed as we started walking towards the front door.

At the time Via wasn't in our friend group yet, but after she bumped into Kai and he thought it would be funny to have her in it while Jax had a major crush on her she hasn't left since.

I laughed in agreement as we walked in through the unlocked door, my gaze wandered around as we passed through different rooms, "Hey Ivy, I'm gonna go find some guys from the team."

"Okay, I'll go see if I can find Jax," I answered as he disappeared through a group of people.

I looked around and thought, Now where would Jax be in a place like this?

"Somewhere avoiding Olivia Wallace," I mumbled under my breath with a small smile. I easily dodged people dancing to the loud music and made my way into one of the hallways filled with cracked doors. I peeked in the crack on one of them to see a group of girls laughing about something.

I moved onto the next one to find an empty bathroom.

I don't think anything could have surprised me more then what I found in the 3rd room. I pushed the door open slightly and saw a couple standing in front of each other talking, "Oh, I'm sorry I was just looking for..." My words slowed down as they both turned towards me to reveal their faces. Alex and Courtney. My Alex, "My friend...Alex?"

His eyes widened, "Ivy-"

I backed away, "No, no don't call me that."

"Ivy it's not-"

I shook my head and turned around trying to run but I ran straight into Jax, "Woah Ivy, what's up?"

I didn't answer and put my hands over my eyes as I felt a hand go on my shoulder, "Ivy please."

I didn't see much but I definitely heard the rest of the night, "Alex? I thought you couldn't come?"

"Alex you told me you dumped her," Courtney chimed in with her whiny voice.

"Ivy come on I'm getting you out of here, this guy isn't worth it," Jax growled and put an arm around my shoulder.

"Ivy-" Alex tried again.

"Don't call her that," Jax defended me and led me through the crowd.

He pulled me out of the house and towards his car as he had recently got his license as well, "I'm not supposed to drive friends without a parental unit in the car but tonight we're going to be illegal."

I slid into the passenger seat and stared forward out of the windshield.

There was pounding on the window as Jax got in on his side, I looked out of it to see Alex, "Ivy, I care about you! Please, let me explain!"

"Drive," I ordered.

Jax hadn't started the car yet, "Jax please, drive!" I yelled.

He hit the gas, we drove away from a shouting Alex, "Ivy come back!"

It wasn't until Jax had pulled into a parking lot I had broken down, "He-He-"

"It's okay Ivy, don't worry about him," Jax comforted me and pulled me into a hug over the center console.

I blocked his number and acted like he didn't exist at school, not even a month later he mysteriously moved and no one ever knew where he went. No one after that event was allowed to call me Ivy unless they already were.

~Present Day~

His pleading seemed to have quieted down as I pulled my phone out and called the number that had been haunting my thoughts for the last two days.

"Hello?" He answered.

"You don't have to worry about Phoenix anymore so leave me alone," I answered blankly and hung up, throwing my phone into the passenger seat and backed out of the parking spot. Phoenix stood there staring at me, his face seemed to glisten in my headlights, Alex seemed pretty emotionless. I recalled from that night. I shook the thought off and quickly drove off, going to the only place that allowed me to think.

——

i have nothing to say here anymore. :/. hope you like this story tho, that would help my self esteem. -Rose

——

~Written 2-22-19~

© Copyright 2018 All Rights Reserved