Chapter 2

I regretted the drinking the moment I wake up with a splitting headache the next morning. I lie on the blow-up mattress Indy had put beside her bed in her room, rubbing my temples as the light begins to creep in through the blinds that is opened a crack. I was thankful it was a public holiday and I didn’t need to be anywhere in a hurry today. I had work at the bowling alley later in the afternoon so at least I have plenty of time to recover before my shift.

I sit up slowly, groaning. I glance over at Indy who is still fast asleep where she had slept on top of her blankets as it was humid during the night. Slowly I stand up and grab my phone from the bedside table where it sat beside Indy’s. Dad had messaged me to let me know that my brother had been born at 3:21am. He attached a photograph of Theodore wrapped in a blue, pink and yellow stripe blanket, sleeping in his crib. I smile at how adorable he looked. He had a tiny bit of red hair, just like my mother’s. I couldn’t wait to meet him later.

Underneath the picture Dad had also typed that he had gone home to sleep, and he will see me at home later, promising to drive me to the hospital later to meet my baby brother. Thankfully I only lived next door to Bradley and Indy because right now I don’t think I could travel far with a headache.

For a brief moment I forget all about the hangover and excitedly wake up Indy. She groans, hiding her head underneath her pillow.

“Go away and let me sleep,” she mumbles.

“My dad texted me to let me know that my brother was born at 3:21am. Would you like to see a photo of him?”

“What time is it?”

I glance at the time in the upper right hand corner of my phone screen. “It’s eight forty.”

Indy groans again. “Do you really need to wake me up this early?” She removes the pillow, goes to sit up but only to lie back down as her head spins, groaning as she rubs her temples. She reaches for my phone and gets her first glimpse of my brother. “Aw, he is so adorable. I can’t wait to see him when he comes home. Are you going to see him later?”

I nod. “Of course I am. My dad said he is at home at the moment to get some sleep for being at the hospital for most of the night. He said he will drive me over there to see my Mum and Theodore when I get home.”

Indy sits up slowly. “Well then let’s get ready so you can get to the hospital. But first, let’s get something for these headaches.”

***

My head continues to pound even after taking two aspirins and the big breakfast Bradley had made for us. I do my best to act cheery around my Dad when I returned home so he won’t even notice I have been drinking. If he does notice, he doesn’t say anything. Maybe because he is half asleep from staying up late with Mum.

Mum is breastfeeding my brother when we arrived at the hospital. She looks up at us with weary blue eyes, smiling at us.

“Good morning, Leela,” she says as she finishes nursing him. “Come meet your new brother Theodore James Hamilton.”

I stand by the bed, staring down at my brother. He was small in person and I was happy my parents were able to conceive him. They may not be my biological parents, but I was happy for them being able to have a child of their own. Theodore lets out a yawn, keeping his eyes closed. Mum allows me to hold him and gently places him in my arms.

As soon as he was placed in my arms, his eyes open, revealing the dark blue colour. He stares at me, wondering who I am. I smile at him.

“Hi Theodore,” I say cheerfully. “I’m your big sister Leela. I’m so happy to finally meet you.”

I sit down on the chair beside Mum’s bed. I place my index finger in my brother’s tiny hands. He wraps his hand around it. He stares at me for a little while longer before falling back to sleep.

“He is so cute,” I say, looking up at my parents.

Mum returns the smile. “He sure is.”

“Mum, Dad, I know I’m not biologically yours and you adopted me when you couldn’t have any kids, but I want you to know that I’m very happy for the both of you for being this little guy into the world.”

“We couldn’t be happier than having the both of you in our lives, Leela,” Dad says with a smile.

***

Public holidays were always busy at the bowling alley, and I was thankful by the time I came in for my afternoon shift that my hangover was starting to subside. If the music wasn’t so loud in here then maybe it would disappear faster. Customer after customer came up to the counter booking lanes and asking for shoes. I book the lanes while my co-worker Stevie gives the customers their shoes.

Near five o’clock we get a break in serving customers. Together Stevie and I tidy up the shoe rack, asking each other about what we did for the New Year. She had gone down to the harbour with her boyfriend where he proposed to her. She showed me the engagement ring he had given her. It was silver with a white stone in the centre.

I start to tell her about the party I went to when I remember what I saw at the drive-in, and what my friends had said.

“Hey, do you know if Faulkner Hills Drive-In is haunted?” I ask her.

Stevie looks over her shoulder to make sure no one was standing at the counter. She then turns back to me. “Yes, of course it is. My cousin lives near the drive-in. He says between nine o’clock and midnight you can see some light source maybe coming from a lantern or a torch bouncing off the screen. He has even seen a shadow on the screen. If it’s quiet enough, you can hear static coming from a radio.”

So it wasn’t the alcohol that caused me to see the lights, and both of my friends were right about it, but haven’t mentioned anything about the static.

“I hear it’s Anne Jones’ ghost that is haunting the drive-in.”

Stevie nods, pushing her dyed red hair behind her ear. “It could be. I mean, I can’t think of a reason for anyone to want to haunt a drive-in besides her.”

I still wasn’t convinced the place was haunted. If it was, I was sure I would have heard about it earlier on instead of two weeks later. Besides, why would it be haunted after almost two years?

I finish my shift at eight o’clock. Dad had insisted I called him so he could pick me up so I wouldn’t be riding my bike home in the dark, but I told him I was alright with riding my bike home. Just a couple of more pay checks and I will be able to afford to buy myself a car. Besides, I didn’t want him to pick me up because I wanted to swing by the drive-in before I headed home.

I should really have gone by the drive-in during the day so I could get a better look at the place. I park my bike beside the wire fence. Two old battered signs hang on the rusted gate, one read CLOSED and the second one KEEP OUT. A nearby street light gives me light as I peer through the fence, unable to see anything at all that could show the place was haunted. It was deserted with no movement happening. This rumour was stupid and I wonder who came up with it.

I hop back on my bike and ride home, not giving the drive-in another glance.