Chapter 29: Reunited

Jacob stared in horror. The Traitor grinned. Already had forgotten about Annes death is what it seemed. Brendon was with him, kicking over empty bottles, glass and pill alike.

"Jeez Jacob you have a liver." Brendon said 

"Shut up. What are you doing here you traitor." Jacob growled at Robert

"Traitor? What do you mean traitor, I've never betrayed any of you guys" Robert asked

"Oh really then, explain why Anne died?" Jacob was raising his voice

"If your looking for the cause of Annes death, it's dead already." Brendon scowled

"Oh yeah? THAN WHY IS IT STANDING IN FRONT OF ME." Jacob yelled

Brendon looked like he wanted to yell back, but thought better of it. Robert looked bewildered.

"Jacob it was Lana's fault. She lead the infected to the surplus store. We found out because she tripped over the paint trap, and had to walk all the way back to the base." Robert said

Jacobs eyes went wide. Jacob sunk to his knees in grief. 

"Lana?" Jacob asked horror struck.

Jacob couldn't believe it. Someone Anne trusted and looked up to was the main cause of her death. Jacob was seething and Brendon suddenly got really uncomfortble and backed up.Jacob looked ready to do something crazy and unpredictable. Brendon looked at Robert and Robert coughed.

"Hey go sit with Jess in the car Brendon" Robert said gently

As Brendon left Robert sat down gently next to Jacob. Jacobs eyes were tearing up and he looked mad and sorrowful. Robert put his arm around Jacob.

"So Lana died huh? Who killed her?" Jacob asked

"Claire, but Lana put up a fight and Claire's in bad shape." Robert said

"I'm going to send her flowers" Jacob laughed tears in his eyes

Robert waited a little and then nudged Jacob.

"We need you back. You need to come back with us okay. The Strikers need you. Coby needs you, Anne is alive in your heart and in your memories. Don't make yourself suffer for what someone else did. Its not your fault okay? We need to go home. You need to go home."

"Speeching me out huh?" Jacob laughed

"Hey it's what I do!" Robert grinned. 

Jacob began to gather his belongings and load them on the back of Ziggys truck. He loaded everything he could fit. He jumped when he heard Brendons suppressed assault rifle but dismissed it. He grabbed the sniper rifle he got from the looters and examined it to see that it was fully functional. He smoothed out the engraving he had carved on it the previous night. Redemption. This rifle would be his and Annes redemption. He would return to the Strikers, a new man sobered by the realization of his mistakes.

He would be reunited.

"Follow behind us at a distance okay. We may have to make evasive maneuvers." Robert said tossing a walkie in the passenger seat.

He cranked up the truck waiting for the car to start up. He followed at a distance of five hundred feet. Robert looked in the rear view mirror. Jacob occasionally would pop in and out of view. Robert sighed.

"One less Striker missing huh?" Brendon asked

"You got that right buddy, one less missing neck for me to look out for." Robert laughed

"Did you see what he had carved on his rifle?" Jess asked

"Redemption?" Brendon asked.