𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨

Evie and the two strangers stared at each other for what felt like forever, unsure of what to say or do next as an awkward silence filled the room. They were young guys probably not much older than herself, which just added to Evie's already burning self-consciousness. The one on the left was thin and had almost jet-black hair that rested on his shoulders. He had strong facial features, with prominent cheekbones and captivating eyes. The one on the right was just as thin though he had a much daintier appearance. With blue eyes and shoulder-length blonde hair, at first glance Evie had thought he was a girl. Nevertheless, it was pretty obvious by their unusual attire and the confused looks on their faces that they must have been the proprietors of this stall.

As Evie stood at the other side of the room like a deer caught in the headlights, the dark-haired lad sighed and turned to his friend, 'I thought I told you to lock the door when we left?'

'What are you talking about, I did lock the door, Fred. See?' the blonde gestured at the lock to fight his case, before his face dropped in realisation when he noticed the set of keys which he'd forgotten to take with him upon leaving, 'Oh...' he gave his friend an innocent smile, 'Sorry.'

Rolling his eyes at his colleague's mistake, 'Fred' muttered, 'Give me strength,'under his breath before turning his attention to Evie and smiling politely at her, 'Apologies, dear, my incompetent oaf of a friend was supposed to lock up behind him when we went on our lunch break,' the insult receiving a scowl from his workmate. He made his way over to the coat stand in the corner and hung his jacket up, 'I hope you haven't been waiting long.'

'N-no, not at all, I was...merely browsing,' Evie replied shyly, only realising then she still had the dress she'd been looking at in her hands. She put it back hastily on the rail, 'Sorry, I should have realised you weren't open.'

Fred waved his hand dismissively as he strolled over to her, 'Nonsense, it's our fault for not locking the door, how could you possibly have known?' he told her before breaking into a smile, 'I'm just glad you weren't a thief!'

'She could be,' the blonde lad, who was now sitting behind the counter, chimed in with a cheeky grin on his face as he propped his feet up on the desk, 'It's the pretty ones you've gotta watch out for.'

A red hue rushed across Evie's cheeks, her face burning with embarrassment.

'I seriously doubt that Rog, and for God sake learn some manners,' Fred reprimanded him, before turning back at Evie and jokingly asking, 'You're not a thief, are you, love?'

She chuckled lightly, 'Do you think I'd still be standing here if I was?'

'Yeah, that's a fair point,' Fred smiled amusedly, 'Nevertheless, we're sorry for keeping you waiting, Miss...'

Obviously searching for a name, the dark-haired girl replied sweetly, 'Evie.'

'It's a pleasure to meet you, Evie. I'm Freddie,' he told her politely as he shook hands with her, before gesturing to his friend behind him, 'And that's Roger,' who smiled and gave her a wave.

'Well, it was nice meeting you both...even if it was under strange circumstances,' Evie told them before remembering what she was doing before she walked in here, 'But I'd best be off.'

'You're leaving already?' Freddie looked disheartened, 'Surely you'll at least try on this gorgeous dress before you go?' as he picked the dress that had caught her eye back off the rail again.

The garment in question was a beautiful 1920s evening dress that'd been hidden amongst a horde of other dresses and skirts. It was in remarkably good nick, probably only worn a handful of times despite being fifty years old. Although it was in her size, if Evie did decide to buy it, she struggled to think where she would wear it - and that's before she'd have to haggle the two stall owners over its ridiculous price tag. However, she could redesign the dress and turn it into something else, she thought to herself, and it's near perfect condition was difficult to overlook.