A Madness So Discreet

"Father, please. This silence is deafening. Can you not tell me what is troubling you? Is it just the obvious?" Eldrid couldn't help but notice the uneasy look upon her Father's face. "I am not made of porcelain. I will not break. You can share what is ailing you so with me."

Her Father stops in his tracks to stare back at his daughter. She looks so much like her mother. She possesses the very elegant confidence that made her mother stand out in court. He now must preserve the only thing he has left of his wife.

He reaches outs and pulls Eldrid into a tight embrace. "My dear, Ellie. It is not fear or dread you see consuming me. I have just been preoccupied as of late. I have been working diligently to keep you safe. I am but exhausted. But after today, we will be at peace." He hugs his daughter with ferocity and kisses the top of her head.

Eldrid steps back to look into her Father's eye. "Whatever do you mean? There's nothing to be done. Selection is at random. We both know this. I have just as much of a chance to be chosen today as any other lady on that list. I have carried this burden for 58 days now. There's no way to change my fate." His face changes from exhaustion to what appears to be shame. "What exactly...what have you been up to?"

"Trust me. I need you to trust me. What happens in the next few moments, you may hate me for, but please understand that it is because of my inability to lose you...I can't lose you, Ellie. I already lost your mother."

A new kind of fear, no...this isn't just fear, but pure panic rises up in her belly. Bile begins to invade the back of her throat causing a coughing fit. What in the Nine Realms is her beloved Father rambling about? What is about to happen? What is that she sees in her Father's eyes, something that hasn't been there before? Eldrid's eyes widen at the realization...desperation.

"Father?" she faintly whispers. Her entire body starts to shake when she tries to pull back from the man, but he steadies her.

"The prince...he desires a virgin queen of noble birth. That's all he wants. That's the only thing he requires. I can...I will make you undesirable. I will spare your life, Eldrid."

Eldrid's eyes widen in trepidation at hearing her father's words. What did he even mean? What was he planning? Her thoughts quickly interrupted at the sound of footprints coming up behind her.

"Lord Edvin." A raspy voice speaks over her head. She wants to turn to see who it is, but her eyes are locked in on her father. Her trembling completely takes her over, making her very bones ache. Struggling, her mind attempts to spare her by pushing the intention of her father's words far from her mind. It's not doing a very good job. Her head is beginning to spin.

"Andsvarr." Elidrid's father gives the man behind her a nod.

Eldrid no longer has any desire to turn around. Andsvarr Helsson. Captain of the Einhejar, the Army of Asgard. A man not known for his courtesy nor discretion. His face is riddled with scars that he proudly wears behind a deranged smirk. His long hair sits on his shoulders always looking slicked with sweat and dirt probably from hours spent on the training grounds. There's no doubt he's an intimidating figure to behold.

However, he has always made Eldrid cringe. The way he stares at all the ladies of court as if he was the devouring mad prince. She's heard the stories of his conquests, and not just the ones in service to the Allfather. She knows too well of the girls made undesirable by use of his station. Those naive women, throwing themselves at his feet. The thought makes her nose twitch in disgust.

What is he doing here? Why is my Father's acting so familiar with him?

"I assume you found my payment satisfactory in regards to our arrangement?"