Stargazing

• Dedicated to Stella Stargaze

A/N:

Disclaimer – I do not own the Kingdom Hearts video game series or associate with any of its creators/owners. If I did, trust me; I would not be pretending to be a fanfiction writer. I also do not intend to get any sort of monetary gain from this one-shot.

This little fic is dedicated to one of my friends on fanfiction.net, Stella Stargaze.

. . .

Stargazing.

. . .

Sora rolled over in his bed, wide-awake.

He didn't know why he couldn't sleep. It was the first night of peace, of calm, of not having to worry about Xehanort and his evil, dastardly plans with his other twelve selves. It was done. Finished. Zilch. He should've passed out on the bed as soon as he flopped onto it. Instead, it was like his brain decided to work on overtime, imagining scenarios where it turned out that Xehanort totally wasn't dead after all and they had to fight him again, or having Lea burst into the castle shouting that Isa randomly went into berserk mode ranting about a reunion, or the Land of Departure suddenly being swamped by Heartless.

Or, or, or. What if's.

It felt like this journey had started an eternity ago, not less than three years. It was as if Sora had been born a teenage Keybearer knowing nothing else but fighting against the forces of darkness. For so long, he had dreamed of returning to that old life of a carefree islander with his friends. Things would be different, of course – he wouldn't abandon King Mickey and the others – but overall, the idea of dipping his feet in ocean water and dozing on the beach... it had been his greatest wish.

Why then, did he feel so restless? His fingers itched. He could feel the power of the Keyblade just under the surface.

Sora sighed and sat up, rubbing his right hand.

Maybe it was his room. Instead of sleeping at his house back at Destiny Islands like he always imagined, he was in his newly appropriated room at the Land of Departure. Terra and Aqua had offered them here as a place to stay, one that would be proper training grounds. They did have a lot to learn from actual Keybearing lessons instead of the winging-it Sora was used to. Of course, at the time, he hadn't thought of this reaction.

Still rubbing his hand absently, he got up on his knees and brushed the curtains back from the bedside window.

It was pure nighttime, the faint, warm yellow light of the lanterns outside the only illumination. He could almost hear the crickets chirping.

A flash at the corner of his eyes caught Sora's attention. He turned his gaze upwards.

His room promptly exploded with noise.

. . .

"Meteor shower!"

Riku's eyes flew open as his door did the same with a bang.

Before he could summon his Keyblade in surprise, Sora's head popped into existence above his own. He was baring an almost terrifying grin of joy. Whelp. There went his blessed sleep. "Meteor shower, Riku!" he shouted right into his ear.

He winced. "Ow, what the heck, Sora?"

"It's a meteor shower!" His friend ran off into the hall, waving his arms around.

It took a moment of pure bemusement for it to sink in.

Riku eventually let out a long-suffering sigh, though he couldn't resist the smile. "Well. Can't leave Sora alone; with his luck, he'll get hit by a meteor."