Introductions, interruptions and itinerarys

Mila POV

To say I was scared was an understatement. I was terrified. Alice's father never failed to intimidate me and he never seemed to like me when we talked. Then again I wasn't the most forthcoming person when it came to him - I hated the way he treated Alice. Because of this things were always very tense between us and I couldn't see us coming closer anytime soon meaning that he probably wasn't calling me in for a quaint heart to heart. Then again, he may just be trying to drag me away from Alice so she can have some 'quality time' with that cole guy. I smirked despite myself. If her father tried to force her with cole he had another thing coming.

Mr Liddell led me into an empty room that looked like a lounge and gestured to one of the regal couches placed next to a fireplace. However, there was no fire going and so the room felt dark and cold. My back was facing the door and I was getting anxious. Mr Liddell seated himself on the couch opposite me and for a few moments there was absolute silence. I looked awkwardly down at my hands and started playing with the gold trimming in the couch. Finally he spoke up.

"I'm sure you know by now that Alice has gotten into Stanford, to study medicine"

"Of course mr Liddell"

"And you know my daughter has the potential to do amazing things" where was he going with

this?

"Yes..."

"But to become great she needs to be focused and you, Mila, are one of her biggest distractions." Um what? At my confused expression he continued "listen, I know you and Alice are best friends but it is time for you both to move on with your lives. Alice needs to be the best that she can be and you are bringing her down. She even considered turning down Stanford to have a gap year with you."

I felt a spark of anger.

"I was the one who convinced her to go to Stanford!"

"I knew you would be upset when I told you and so I allowed you to come on one last trip with my daughter, out of respect for the years of friendship you have given her."

"You're insane!"

"But at the end of this trip you are to leave Alice alone." He stated with finality.

"Are you even listening to me!"

"If you want I can pay you as a form of gratitude for being there for her, especially when her mother passed away."

"This isn't some business transaction! You can't just pay me off and be done with it! Alice is my oldest friend and I will not give that up just like that."

“Please Mila, don’t make this any harder than it has to be.” Just as I was about to really lose it we were interrupted as I heard the creaking that signalled someone was opening the door.

“Is everything ok in here? I heard shouting,” while I could not see the stranger’s face I could determine from his voice that he was about the same age as I was.