Chapter 2

Two days have passed since the unusual murder of Naysa Williams.

The small town of Eldritch was buzzing with this uncommon incident. It has always been a quite town, spiritual and holistic. Crime was something unknown in the area since the last decades. This can be known from the fact that the last abducting/murder case that the police had to investigate was back in 1942, seventy five years ago.

So rumours and gossips were bound to happen.

           ~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The loud electronic beeps of the bedside alarm clock rings through the stiff air of the room. But it has lost its significance as the work it was supposed to do, to wake Xavier up, has already been completed.

He laid on his bed, events playing and replaying behind his closed eyelids. The venomous hiss was still ringing in his ears, depriving him of any sleep he could find.

He took out his notebook to write down some sort of character sketch of his deceased bestfriend.

Naysa. The cheerful, bubbly, outgoing sort of girl. The one who had friends everywhere. Good in grades. Teacher's favorite. The only child. No enemies known as of till now. Best friends with him since grade 1.

Why would she be killed?

The question remains unanswered. Now the venomous hiss.

Probable suspect. Was not seen.

Wait didn't it say Naysa wanted it out?

"Urghh! It's driving me crazy!!" Restless, he jumped down from his bed, his mind still sore from everything.

Maybe he should go to school. Two days were given off to Cerrine and him to mourn for their best friend. He could still take today off. Mrs Reed, his mom has been adamant about it. She thought it would let him cope well. Little did she know the four walls and constant playback drive him crazy.

Dragging himself to bathroom to shower and get ready, he tries to leave his mental tortures behind. Key word being tries.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Fiona Reed watches her son as he stares at his plate of pancakes. He has been staring at them for past ten minutes, never touching a bite. Her motherly concern overtakes her.

"Xavie. The food isn't going to teleport to your stomach honey." She says, wanting to lighten the gloomy mood.

But, it's like Xavier hasn't listened. His emerald eyes keep focusing on the plate but Fiona knows his mind isn't here.

Gently shaking her son by shoulder, she calls his name.

"Xavie?"

"Xavie?"

"Xa-"

"Erm? Yes mom?" His eyes are still dazed but he isn't zoning out.

"Xavie, I said the breakfast. You need to eat it, honey. And don't go to school today. You don't seem well. I will-"

"No mom I need to go to school. I cannot just mop around." He gets up, cutting his mom's words. And leaving the untouched food and concerned mother behind, he slings his bag on his shoulder as he gets out of the house.

Fiona just stares after him. Mrs Williams voice ringing in her head "He left abruptly, kinda freaked out."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Xavier and Cerrine pass through the corridor of the school building, nodding their heads now and then to the "I'm sorry for your loss!" or "we miss Naysa" kind of statements. Sympathetic looks kept being thrown their way.

The classrooms were empty without Naysa. There was everything, still nothing that could suffice the hollowed portions in their hearts. Cerrine's sniffs keep ringing throughout the classes. Xavier keeps his tears at bay because he needs to support the Cerrie.

Something was bothering Cerrine, that he seems to be sure about.

"They say the soul watches over the beloved ones, Xavie." She says quietly, fidgeting on her legs.

"Naysa would be watching is too?"

"I want her to know how miserable we are without her, how broken we are after she left us. I-" Her sniffing turns to violent sobs as her voice lost influence.

Xavier comes closer, cradling her petite frame as the sobs rock both of them.

What they do not know is that the soul is indeed watching them, the dark figure is indeed present on top of them.