VIII

Eyes drop, flicking towards cemented pavement, watching as a ball begin to roll backwards after coming into contact with the hard surface of his back. He hears a group chuckling to his left, laughing, probably at him, but such a thought does not resonate. He just watches the ball; watches on as it slowly drifts before coming to a stop at the gated fence that surrounds the court.

"Aye, give that back, will you?"

Craning his neck upwards, he catches sight of the group on the left side of the court. He's standing in the middle, the ball at the right. It only takes him a few glances to put two and two together before he's walking towards the basketball, grabbing it, and rolling it over to the left side.

He begins his walk again, but is stopped a second time. For the same reason. And then the same line is being said: Aye, give that back, will you? with more added laughter that leaves Jeongguk's brows creasing.

The ball is stopped near his feet this time; without much hesitation he's walking towards the group—each step paced slowly, raptorial in each leveled grounding. His gaze is not on them, it's on the ball he's throwing back in forth within his hands, only comes to a halt when three pairs of shoes hit his peripheral. Looking up through black bangs, eyes steady and calculating, he merely holds the ball out for someone to grab.

The group are muddled. Surely, they were looking for a different reaction. But nonetheless, the eery feeling that claws at their skin dissipates and what's left is a self-stroking ego. The person in the middle scoffs, mutters something about Jeongguk being a bitch. Jeongguk only smiles and tilts his head, yet when a person reaches for the ball, he draws his hand back.

He places it in between his arm and his side, balancing it there as he watches the group of three with an unhinged tensity.

"The fuck is your problem?"

Jeongguk doesn't give the person a reaction, whomever had just spoke not being able to garner his attention as he bores into the person standing in between the others—the one who had referred to him as a bitch.

He holds out the ball again, motioning for the middle guy to take, taking small glances at the person to his left and right, ensuring that one of them do not try to snatch the ball away again—key word: try.

Without much hesitation, the wanted man reaches for the ball and Jeongguk gives it. And it's only when the ball is in the male's possession that the guy spits at Jeongguk's feet. "You're the almighty JK, aren't ya? Notorious and all that." Jeongguk only raises a brow in response, which is enough of a reaction to make the guy continue.

"I thought you'd be some badass that'll leave fuckers like me running with their tails in between their legs." He spits again. "But you're being a true bitch right now, no? Or is that you only hurt those who you know you can beat? Now that I think about it, Rex was as much as a bitch as you. You two seem to know your places well."

The guy snickers, which makes the people surrounding them laugh and stare in anticipation. The ravenette sighs. "People in prison seem to love the bitch word."

"And what's your point?", the person to the left comments. In return Jeongguk says nothing, just shakes his head and attempts to walk away. Disrespected, the middle guy lunges his arm back only to move it forward, successfully throwing the ball and hitting the back of Jeongguk's head. "I'm sure I'll have you being my personal bitch soon."

Jeongguk stops. His head lolls to the side, onyx-like eyes gleaming with interest. The left side of his mouth curls, ever-so-slightly before his feet are moving on his own. Fast steps and silenced chuckles; the world around him seeming to come to a stop—eyes locked on one person in particular.

But before he could reach his prey, two others step forward. Fighting stances at the ready, something similar to that of howling hyenas perched around a lion. It's obvious this fight won't be fair; it's obvious in the way that the guy in the middle is smug, confident, complacent.

The first punch is thrown; a skinny arm without much force flying towards him and being blocked with much ease. But as soon as that arm comes down, another from a different direction is aiming his way—only slightly caught by the mere movement lining his peripheral. And it's a easy take down, Jeongguk not caring much for the snarling hyenas and more for the maneless cub that wishes to stake their claim.

Two bodies tumbling to the ground, aching and wishing that they had known best. Feet conquering land and skin crawling with tremors, self-proclaimed confidence and placid awareness. Fists come into contact with bodies and there's silence, but formulating cheers. It's a boost in an ego when a punch is landed, someone stumbling backwards, black hair taking home over furrowed brows.

A wet muscle darts out, lapping up crimson that gives off a taste of copper—is neither good nor disgusting; it's natural, befitting. And as a body turns around, laps up all the praise, Jeongguk straightens up and it's a bad thing, everyone knows it's a bad thing to celebrate too soon. The rally ends, just a hush above tranquility. He turns around, confused by his short-lived commemoration, and Jeongguk is quick to land a kick to an unexpecting head. As both feet come back to the ground, a body falls forward—head ringing and vision blurry. He sucks in a large breath just as he's being dragged up by the collar of shirt, forced to follow the movement he's being led to like a border collie herding a fleet of sheep.

He's dropped down, eyes blinking and heart stammering. He doesn't realize that his mouth is being forced open, made to bite down on a concrete step leading back inside the resistant walls that make up the prison. He only falls back into reality when there's a pressure felt on the top of his head, pushing down, down, down until his body reacts, tongue pushed out to try to retract the pressure. Hands pressed into ground, pushing up, up, up, but it's no use.

He isn't strong enough and Jeongguk is smiling, hands fallen into pockets, fellow prisoners staring in shock, some in glee. And just one more push has the male's teeth shattering, some pushing onwards towards his gums, blood leaking belligerently, and intense pain raiding through his body.

And it's only then that Jeongguk lets up, hears a scream, hears those around him groan in disgust, feels guards push him to the ground, relentless hits being thrown at his body by black batons. He just takes it, stares up at the dark sky, sun setting and moon rising. He feels the pain, but his brain disregards it—it doesn't connect, therefore he doesn't flinch.

He hears the telltale sign of clanking metal, hears them before he sees them. The cuff his wrists behind his back, can feel them digging in his skin each time he moves them in the slightest, becomes aware that it'll bruise, maybe rub his skin raw if he kept at it.

He's stood up then, body pulled up and is pushed into submission as he passes his peers and up the stairs that he had just used as a weapon for someone's despise. They deemed him as too dangerous to be around others and is soon placed into the one place he did not wish to be. He's put into seclusion, alone. He's only let out once everyone else is in, made to eat in his cell, shower alone, and held in loose chains at all times.

He seethes. "Fuck, this is boring."

—————————————
This was not proofread; I actually
wanted to make this chapter much
longer than this since I kept you guys
waiting for an update for so long, but
creating a long chapter will only make
you guys wait for a much longer time, so
I figured, why not just post it now? I hope
you enjoyed this chapter, I was truly stuck
on this one chapter for some reason. I didn't
know what I wanted to do with it or how I
wanted this section to go. I'll be working on
the next chapter tomorrow, along with another
book. Thankyou for waiting on me. 🥺
p.s. 6k reads and 200+ votes?
i love u guyssss
—————————————