Prologue/Chapter 1

A somewhat overweight Roman man struggled through the baking landscape as tall cluster-pines surrounded him with their tall trunks and dark green canopies. The man glanced back at the city of Rome, panting. The surrounding air shimmered in the heat. Groaning, he bent down to pick up a twig. Scanning the horizon, he shook his head, then let out a long sigh. It was too late to get out of it now... Using the twig; he drew a circle on the ground around himself and a protective barrier rose from it. Magic encircled the middle-aged man like a thick, translucent barrier. He drew two runes and voiced their names. A bolt of energy seared through his body. The man's thin brown hair grew thicker, his hairline pushed forward, and, in an instant, his hair turned silvery-white, as did his bushy eyebrows. His eyes shone like two polished coins in the sunlight. This was his true form; he was a Light Elf. The elf man took a step forward, then knelt on one knee. Bowing his head, he waited and then a single spark appeared in the air outside the circle, then another, then another. Soon the air was teeming with sparks. A large flaming window formed among the blue magic sparks, and inside, a thick mist cleared, revealing a landscape of fire.

In it, a huge giant man stood, his red hair and beard glowing as if on fire. This was Surt, the ruler of all fire giants. Standing with his arms crossed over his wide chest, he stared out the window at the light elf man. Surt had flames for eyes that flared and licked his bushy eyebrows. Ash in the air covered his face with black soot. Behind him, fiery rivers of lava flowed through the beautiful scenery, and glowing mountains blocked the horizon. The silver-haired light elf slowly raised his eyes from the ground and peeked at the giant.

"Mighty ruler, you who rule Muspelheim... and who will soon rule the rest of the nine worlds... My most Honored Majesty... who are the light and the..."

"For gods' sakes," Surt said impatiently, "what do you want? I do have other matters to attend to."

"Of course, master."

The light elf lowered his gaze. Surt pulled his sooty hand through his bushy red hair. The light elf peeked up at him but dared not stare into Surt's eyes.

"I have awful, awful ... news master," the light elf started, his eyes darting anxiously at the giant's braided beard.

"What news is so important that it could not wait?" Surt asked. The giant's flaming eyes narrowed to slits as he studied the elf man.

"Whispers... master," the light elf replied.

"What whispers? Be specific!" Surt snarled. The light elf flinched and stared down at the ground. "Devastating rumors," he said nervously, "that could... spell disaster..."

"Don't presume you know what I am thinking, elf," Surt snarled, his fury barely contained.

"I am so sorry... I never meant to upset you, honored..." the light elf mumbled.

"TELL ME!" Surt roared, out of patience with the light elf man. Surt's clothes were aglow and small flames danced across them. A long crimson cloak flowed behind him in the breeze.

"I hear that a very powerful seer in the royal kingdom of Rome saw you" the light elf hesitated, grinding his teeth together. He glanced around as if debating whether to speak at all.

"What did she see?" The giant asked.

"The völva saw you... die..."

As these dangerous words left his lips, the light elf gritted his teeth and looked away.

"A seer saw me die?" Surt asked. A deep crease formed above his eyes.

"The king and queen of Rome have three sons, the völva says that when the princes are grown, they will kill you." The light elf's words trailed into a whisper; his eyes fixed on the ground.

"Impossible," Surt snarled, but with a look of doubt on his face.

The light elf glanced up at him, before looking back at the ground.

"How?" Surt asked, holding the elf man with his eyes.

"I am not sure ..."

"Then what good are you to me? Find out more!" Surt demanded.

"My apology master ..."

The light elf longingly watched the horizon looking like he wished he could be somewhere else. Anywhere else but here.