A magic circle

Standing under the starless night sky on the flat rooftop of a crumbling building is not exactly what most people would want to do. Adding to that they were standing knee-deep in snow and it just wouldn't stop snowing. Her pelt didn't really keep her warm and she envied her companion for being unable to feel the cold surrounding him.

Well, he already looked like he froze to death with his greyish complexion. He wasn't wearing a shirt only a light leather west, so one could clearly see the dark marks covering his torso and arms. The man grinned looking at her with his golden eyes.

"You cold?" She glared at him. "Of course I am, it's freezing!" He only laughed and shrugged his shoulders. "Humans are so amusing."

Before she could shout at him the ground under them started to shake and the stone building made alarming noises.

"We should postpone the chitchat", he looked serious for once. "Except, of course, you'd like to wait and see if you survive when the building collapses." She just glared at him with her mismatched eyes. There was no time to waist, she knew that. "We should just get this over with."

Both positioned themselves in the middle of the roof where a circle was drawn into the stone. It consisted of numerous strange symbols which glowed in a warm orange light. Snowflakes melted instantly when they touched the circle. Facing each other they each stood on the circle.

While he seemingly just watched she started to recite something in another language, her voice echoing around them. The circle started to glow even brighter until the light was bright enough to be seen from a great distance.

The girl held her arms up, her coat and short blond hair were swept backwards like a strong breeze was coming from the centre of the circle. He was standing still with his arms crossed behind his back. Goatish horns had appeared atop his head and when he licked his lips one could see that the tip of his tongue was split just like a snakes.

The light grew even stronger until it was so bright that one would clearly hurt his eyes looking straight at it. A low crumbling sound could be heard when the light suddenly vanished and all that was left was the circle of strange symbols burned into the stone. Shortly after that the ground started shaking again – more violently this time – and the building collapsed wiping out any trace of what had happened just mere moments ago ...

"I tell you, there was a bright light. After it vanished I went to check out what happened and there is this cool circle here. I mean, just look at it. Looks like one of these magic circles in games, don't you think so?" "It's really cool man." The teenagers were so captivated by the sight of the circle that they were completely unaware of their surroundings. "What the hell are you boys doing here? This is a restricted area!" "Oh shit!" They sprinted in opposite directions with the guard screaming after them. "What the hell did these punks do here?" wondering he went closer. "What the -?!"

Staring at the circle he pulled out his phone and started dialling a number.

-a little later-

"Do you know what happened here?" "No, I just saw two boys on the property. The area is restricted so I wanted them to leave. Some teens think it's cool or something to break in and make a challenge of how long they can be here without anyone noticing." "Do you think these boys did this?", the man pointed at the circle. "Hell, no. This looks like it's burned into the concrete. It would have taken them hours. All that for a prank? I don't think so detective." "Well, thanks anyway." The guard gave a nod then turned and started patrolling again. "What do you think about this Harv?", the detective asked while turning to face his colleague. "I seriously don't know Jim. I've seen a lot in this hellhole of a city but a freaking magic circle?" He shrugged his shoulders. "First time for everything, I guess." Jim nodded and looked at the circle again. "Maybe Nygma can figure this out."