Chapter 11

Niall Horan P.O.V.

"Come on, Horan. Just a pint at our old pub. It's a Friday night, for goodness sake."

I groaned as I got up of the couch after re-watching a game of football. I wasn't really in the mood to go out and get a drink.

"Nah, I'm gonna stay home today, Sean," I spoke to one of my childhood friends. I heard him curse on the other side of the line.

"You're going to get that arse off the couch, get dressed and drive down to the pub. If you won't come, I'll drive down to that mansion of yours and drag you with me," he warned.

"Ah, fine, fine!" I groaned. "I'll be there. Give me like half an hour to get there."

"Sure thing, get dolled up, you skank. We're gonna pull some lasses today." with that, he hung up on me. "I'm not going to pull any lass today," I muttered to my phone. With a deep sigh, I got off the couch and dragged myself upstairs. I went for a pair of dark jeans, a white t-shirt and a dark blue and green paneled jacket. I refreshed my face a little and put on some cologne right before I left.

God. I'd not been to this pub in forever. I knew the lads down here still went there every weekend. Which probably would've been me, if I hadn't gotten out of here.

I loved my country, I really did. It offered enough in my opinion to live a happy life. But, I had always had my eyes set on bigger things. I envied my brother and how he had a family of his own now, but I'd not pictured myself like that. I wanted to see the world and I wanted to be seen by it. And so it happened.

When I lived in London and traveled around the world, I never really wanted to go back to Mullingar. First, because I was a living legend to them and never had any privacy. Second, because I felt like I did not belong there anymore, as if I'd outgrown the town. It shouldn't have been of those and other reasons not to visit at all. It was a mistake on my behalf, I knew that.

Driving through the eerie quiet streets, as familiar to me as the back of my hand, was actually quite nice. I thought I would feel agitated and constantly on the lookout for Irish press. I didn't feel like that at all.

I parked the car in a car park nearby. I'd forgotten to bring my coat. I still wore that jacket, but I might as well have worn nothing, as it felt exactly the same.

I recognized the people in front of the pub, waiting for me.

"There he is!" Sean shouted. The others turned and started yelling.

"Would you look at that! The popstar returns at last!"

"Oh shut up," I laughed as I greeted each and all of them. Sean, Conor, Darragh, Oisin, Mully, Jake and Andrew. We'd played football together. "God, you're buff!" Sean laughed. He patted my tummy. "That one on the other hand, not so much."

"Oh that's enough, will you! Let's get inside, my balls are freezing off," I playfully pushed him towards the door.

The warmth inside the pub hit me in the face as soon as I walked in. I was glad I hadn't brought a jacket.

"All pints?" I asked the lads as I walked up to the bar. "Aye," I heard seven times. "Got it," I nodded.

"What can I get you?" the bartender asked, recognition flickering in his eyes. He had a familiar face, too. Then again, the people my age around town were familiar to me.

"Eight pints, please," I said to him. "Coming right up," the bartender replied.

I waited until he served all the glasses, a perfect layer of foam on them. "Thanks, man, that's class," I thanked him and walked twice to the table the lads were sitting at.

After getting the last four glasses, I sat down at the table as well.

"Oh dreary me," Mully muttered. "Young Hennessey's here as well." I couldn't see her from the spot I was sitting, thankfully, though my stomach responded anxiously.

"Hey, Hennessey!" Sean called from our side of the pub. "What's the craic?"

"Hiya Quinn, having a pint with my friends," I heard her reply just loud enough.

Sean just smiled and waved at her.

"Do you guys talk much?" I asked him. Sean shook his head. "No, not much but we talk sometimes when these shits refuse to come out to the bar. She's here often, most of the times with her friends."

"She's so fit," Andrew butted in. "Heard she's a teacher now. Imagine having a teacher like that. I'd not be able to hide my boner," he laughed.

"Shut up, Andrew," I muttered. The boys laughed. "Watch out Andrew, don't insult his girlfriend now or you'll be sorry," Oisin snickered.

"She's not my girlfriend," I spoke as I took a sip of my pint. They rarely served them as great as they did in Ireland.

"No she could've, but Horan decided to pursue a career in music and totally forgot about her. And her dad's funeral," Darragh responded.

"We were just friends, that's all mate. And I know I should've been there, I just couldn't leave." Which was true. I'd tried to get out of it, but when management says no, it is a no. I still hated them for it.

"Yeah sure, save your sorry arse, Horan," Darragh laughed. I tuned out as they continued talking about her.

I noticed how they got up and asked for darts. I couldn't see her face, again. I had to talk to her tonight, or else I'd never be able to.