Tracks in the Snow

She didn't know where  Charlie was, but she could see where he had gone. The snow was thick,  and it betrayed Charlie in an instant. Jena followed the tracks with her  eyes and her flashlight away from the house, and up and over the hill.

She hesitated. She knew  exactly where Charlie had snuck off to yet again, and that gave her  pause. Jena knew her older brother well. They were never apart, except  for when he went there. When he went to the Marsh House across the  creek. That's where he was now. Over the hill, across the creek, and he  was watching it again. Trying to see what was inside.

How could he? He had  left her there. By herself. Outside. The thought that she was alone at  night finally came to her. She turned, monsters suddenly behind her, but  reality blew her nightmares away. There was only darkness there, dotted  with specks of late snow. They floated in no particular direction,  carefree and unconcerned which way they took. Beyond them, a solid wall  of night. So thick that it could drown her if she lowered her  flashlight. Silence her.

She could face it, chase  it back, and walk into the house. She could leave Charlie to his own  foolish decisions. She didn't. She couldn't leave Charlie alone. Not  there. Not tonight. Tonight she could finally catch him.

She allowed the darkness to follow as she ran up the hill.

Trudging through the  snow that swallowed her ankles, she kicked and pushed to get over the  incline, and she struggled to stay upright as gravity pulled her down  the other side. With darkness keeping pace, she knew she couldn't stop.  She didn't want to. She only wanted Charlie.

The wind whispered in  her ear, and she shook its sharp tongue from her face. Bushes rose out  of the night. Where they grew thinnest she slipped between them, and she  dropped down to the creek bed below. The water was shallowest here,  narrow, and she leapt across it with ease. Scampering up the other bank,  the cold stabbed at her exhausted lungs like daggers, but she didn't  yield. She found Charlie's footprints again, and she chased him.

She could have called,  but she was across the creek now. This wasn't home anymore. The barren  land here was hard beneath the snow. Home was further and further away  every second, and her father had told her many times about this place.  He warned her that the land over the creek is the Marsh's land. She  wasn't allowed to play on it. Neither was Charlie. The difference was  that Charlie didn't care.

"The Marshes are dead,"  he had told her. "I heard about it at school. Everyone knows they're  dead. It's the thing that lives in the house that you gotta watch out  for."

She never believed him.  Their mom said it was nonsense. A tall-tale. It wasn't real for Jen, but  it was for Charlie. She knew that's why he snuck out at night. In the  dark. Isn't that where the monsters live?

Though the footprints  guided her to Charlie, she felt a warmth leak from her eyes as she  imagined the darkness behind her growing corporeal. She could feel it  scraping her back with claws, nudging her arms as she ran, and breathing  down her tiny neck. She could feel every labored breath coming in sync  with hers. Just as fast. Just as strong. Just as overwhelming. Jena  wiped away the tear. Charlie was strong. She could be, too.

Jena was worried. She  knew the house was getting near. The snow fell harder now, and with her  vision reduced to nothing but black and white, she started to hate  Charlie. Truly she hated him in the way siblings do. How dare he make  her run out here, alone, after him? She was going to beat him when she  found him.

If you find him, the night whispered.

The tracks went on, but  it wasn't right. Charlie should have stopped by now. He never got too  close to the Marsh House. Never. Not even he and his friends dared when  they tried, and Jena had watched. They barely went further than the  creek, not even halfway to the place. None of them had the guts to go  closer. Not Charlie. Certainly not alone. Why had Charlie continued?  What did he want? They never saw anything of interest at the Marsh  House. There was no monster. It wasn't real. So why had he come so  close? What had he seen?