15. NUMB

A FEW WEEKS PASSED.

   The pack members that resided in the manor permanently quickly got used to the hunter living with them, as she never got in their way. Her mind seemed to only be set on training and growing stronger, for whatever reason, they couldn't quite make out.

   Jason did his utmost to make sure Avery at least tried to sleep occasionally, and Leon instructed her in using some of the weapons she appeared to be rather unfamiliar with. He was impressed at her fast progress and her determination, despite being part human. Most humans tended to be quite lazy; it would take them much longer to learn the things she picked up so conscientiously, mastering them within a few days only.

   The leaves were starting to turn various shades of orange and yellow, and it was getting colder again. Avery sat on her bed crosslegged and stared at the mobile phone in front of her. Sera's phone. She had avoided switching it on for as long as she could, but the next full moon was was already up high in the sky, the house completely empty.

   Jason had officially cleared her for missions the previous day; Marina had agreed. The people that had been out and about trying to find Sera and Eleanor had been unsuccessful thus far. Avery reminded herself that they hadn't found any bodies either.

   Shaking her head she exhaled sharply and turned on the phone, the brightness of the screen causing her to squint her eyes, as she'd been sitting in near darkness all night. For a while she skimmed through old messages, mostly to and from clients. There was nothing that hinted at any attempts at calling for help.

   Avery went through the list of her clients, jotting down every name and number in her notebook. She would have to wait a few hours until she could actually call any of them, considering she had no idea how many of them were human.

   It was almost absurd to think she had been attending college like any other normal human being less than two months ago. Ever since she was brought to the manor she hadn't even wasted a single thought on university. Now she was glad that she had always distanced herself so much—she could just disappear without anyone even noticing. Drew's name flashed through her mind momentarily but it was gone just as quickly as it had appeared.

   Until sunrise Avery stared at the ceiling, imagining patterns into the uneven wood to keep her mind at bay. When the first rays of sunlight found their way through the dense treetops, she shuffled around the house impatiently, clutching the phone close to her chest. Little by little the pack members trickled back inside, and Avery handed them dry clothing and something to drink. She pretended not to see some of the distrustful glances and focused on the few that actually thanked her.

   Jason and Leon were the last to come back, having done a double take to make sure no one else was still roaming the woods. "Did you find anything?" the blond asked, pointing at the phone after snaking his arms into the sleeves of the flannel shirt the hunter had handed him.

   Avery shrugged. "Only messages and phone calls with clients. I'm gonna see if I can get any information from them."

   "Haven't Marina and her guys already done that? Two times?" Leon queried, at which Avery grinned sheepishly.

   "Yeah well maybe there have been new developments, who knows? Third time's a charm."

   The alpha snorted, looking at the clock. "You are going to wait until it's socially acceptable to call though, right?" — "No, Jace. Actually I was gonna locate their phones and kick them all out of bed individually." Despite the sarcasm dripping from her voice, the two wolves didn't join in on the joke. She was obviously tense and there seemed to be a hint of honesty; if it came down to it they had no doubt she would actually travel all around the continent if it meant she would find Sera.