Chapter 14

“ MIKE'S POV ”

“Mike.”

I turned my head to the side and smiled as a familiar blond man stepped up next to me at the bar.

“Stanley,”

I greeted my friend.

“How’s married life treating you?”

He grinned, and his eyes drifted away.

“Amazing.”

I followed his line of sight to see his tall, beautiful, dark-haired wife, Cassie, talking with his mother while cradling their infant son.

A pang of longing hit me, and I turned back to the bar as the waiter put my drink order in front of me.

I glanced at Stanley, and he was once again staring at me, but this time with his brow raised.

“I hear I should be asking you the same question.”

I nodded and suppressed my satisfied smile by taking a sip of my gin and tonic.

“News travels fast.”

Stanley smirked and leaned an elbow on the bar, glancing around the room.

“Especially when news is that one of New York’s most eligible bachelors is off the market.”

“Well, well, if it isn’t the freckled ginger who just left a slew of broken hearts in his wake.”

Cassie laughed as she sidled up to Stanley, who put his arm around her waist and pulled her in close, placing a kiss on her head and then to Carl Stephen.

“Cassie. It’s great to see you.”

I leaned down and kissed her cheek, ignoring the possessive growl coming from Stanley.

As I stood, Cassie’s eyes drifted past my shoulder and her face lit up.

“Is this your lovely bride?”

I turned, surprised to see Elaine had left her seat at our table and joined me at the bar.

She gave me a sideways glance and a half smile.

“I thought maybe you fell into the bottle.”

Then she turned her curious attention to the couple standing with me.

Cassie smiled brightly.

“I’m Cassie Bradford. You must be Elaine. It’s so wonderful to meet you!”

I made formal introductions, and then our wives floated off to chat, leaving Stanley and me alone again.

He put a hand on my shoulder, drawing my attention away from the two stunning women.

“Mike, I got a call from a contact of yours the other day.”

Stanley’s dark expression indicated that he wasn’t pleased with the situation.

It was my turn to raise my brow in question.

“Philip Banks Freeman.”

Fuck.When had that son of a bitch gotten out of prison?

The last thing I needed right now was my past intruding on my time with Elaine.

Revealing secrets I wasn’t ready for her to know.

“What the fuck was he doing calling you?”

Stanley threw back the rest of his drink before scowling at the bartender, who rushed to refill it.