Chapter 21

After Arizona got that phone call to contact her lawyer she was only able to meet him once before she needed to go to court. Until then it was only reminded and suddenly it became a cruel reality. She needed to face him. They told her that there are a lot more victims testifying but that her words were the strongest because she had a child with him. Her biggest secret was out in the open. Luckily the case wasn't followed by news reporters so she wouldn't be on the television. She got three days off work. But Callie was working and she couldn't be there with her because Owen said he couldn't have two of his greatest surgeons away on a busy day. Only her mom was with her. They decided for Daniel to stay at Arizona's house so he could pick up Josh if the testifying would take longer than anticipated. Also Arizona was sure her dad would try to kill him.

As Arizona stepped through the main entrance of the court her stomach was already turning. She skipped breakfast in fear of throwing up. Also the very tight skirt she was wearing didn't help. She released a shaky breath. She waved slightly at her lawyer and he walked towards her. "Hi," she said.

"Are you ready for this?" he said instead.

Arizona shook her head. "No. But I'll still do it. I hope. You promised that Josh's name is not mentioned. If he ends in jail today then I won't have to fight custody with him."

He nodded. "And even if he doesn't go to jail, which he will because our case against him is very strong, he would never win custody. Not with that criminal record."

"So he just wants to mess with me? That's great," Arizona said and chewed on her bottom lip. She still didn't know his name, refusing her lawyer to tell her but now she needed to know. "Will you tell me now? His name?"

"Are you sure?"

Arizona nodded even though she wasn't sure.

"Jack Barnes."

Arizona felt another wave of nausea hitting her stomach and she took a deep breath. "Let's just get this over with." She walked in the court room, she was early because she didn't think she could handle walking in after he, Jack, would already be there. She sat down, her mom unfortunately had to stay behind. She trusted her lawyer though. She noticed other women sitting in her row, all had a lawyer. Arizona closed her eyes as the side door opened and she knew he was being brought in by two officers. Think of Callie, think of Callie, think of Callie, she chanted in her head. She stood up along with others as the judge walked in. She wasn't sure if she was suppose to be relieved that the judge was a woman but it made her feel just a little better. Arizona still hasn't looked at him and she was the second to being called to the questioning. Her case was the strongest because although her description of him wasn't very detailed they were able to connect him to Josh through the DNA and she was told that only three out of five went to the hospital to get the rape kit done. As she listened to the very detailed description of the first victim she barely managed to keep it together. Emotionally she felt numb, but she was shaking and her stomach kept turning. And then it was her turn. She slowly walked closer to the judge and sat down. She kept her eyes focused on the microphone in front of her. The questions her lawyer practiced with her went by easy, she answered them on autopilot. But then his lawyer stood up with questions on his own.

"Miss Robbins, abortion is legal in the United States," he stated. "So why did you decide to keep the baby? If what you said is true, why keep a constant reminder?"

Arizona saw his face. He smirked. Josh was Arizona's weakness and she paled the second she was asked that. She looked at her lawyer to see if he could help her.

"Objection," he said, standing up. "Your honor, my client's child has nothing to do with this."

The judge nodded. "Was that all or do you have more questions?"