Prolouge

HUSK

The crashing waves of the sea submerged Alex's feet, then retorted, withdrawing sand from the beaches deserted shore. His parents sat in back of him, claimed stationary by the subtle breeze and the landscape on the horizon. It was not too hot, nor too cold, but like Goldilocks's taste in porridge, some would say it was just right. The enchanted sound of the sea silently jumping up and free falling down made a sort calming satisfaction to one who was willing to listen.

Alex's mom sat down beside him with an orange and white seashell nursed in her hands. She smiled, wonder filled and gave a comforted exhale out of her nose. She held the seashell to her ear and closed her eyes. Alex watched her in curiosity of why she had closed her eyes. His mom opened one of her eyes and winked at him. She nested the seashell on his shoulders and whispered. "Some say if you put your ear up to a seashell and really listen, you can hear the sea calling your name".

Alex scrunched his face together and tried really hard to listen. When he could hear nothing he looked up at her with his wonderful grey marble eyes. "It's ok", she said," the sea is right here, you don't need it right now'. She handed it to him softly," But when you do just listen".