Epilogue: Lord of the Storm

Tarth:

It was two days later.

I found myself once again in the cabin in Arizona. Someone had pressed the button again... I had my guesses as to how they had found it.

"Hey there," said a voice. I turned and saw a large brown-haired European man. He was dressed informally, wearing a rain jacket, even in the heat. I saw barbell weights in his coat, the man taking one out and casually tossing it in the air. I waved my hand, the weight stopping in the air. "Oh come now, I'm not here fight," said the man. "I'm not that stupid."

"Who are you? Why are you here?" I asked.

The man gave a chuckled. "Well ya see, the werewolf council heard all about what happened with the kids- those Tracers... they're pretty important to one of our higher placed agents."

"This should concern me?" I asked.

The man waved his arms at me. "No, no it really shouldn't... name's Frank," the man offered me his hand to shake. I rolled my eyes.

"You know who I am and yet you stand in my presence?"

"Oh... heh... forgot myself there," Frank bowed down to the ground, face to the dirt. "Hate bowing normally, but one of the kids told me it's not much of a choice in the end."

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"To make a deal of course."

"You fools are taking liberties thinking you can come to us and make conditions."

"Ah..." he seemed to look back and forth along the ground. "But you see- this is THE deal, the deal to end all deals."

"Really?" I asked, leaning down in mock interest. "Amuse me."

"I am prepared to offer you anything within the power of the entire werewolf council- heck within the power or the entire society alliance. Banshees, werewolves, wildmen, mystics- heck even Triad might be willing to put in for this deal."

My eyebrows went up. "You... have my ear," I said.

"The gargoyle- THE gargoyle. The gargoyle king. We all know the leader of the gargoyle nation isn't dead. Ya know, the guy who tried to take over the world?"

"I am fully aware of whom you speak."

"So you can track him down?"

"Easily."

"Maybe even take him out? Not like anyone would miss the guy- other than his remaining followers."

I shook my head. "I am afraid I must decline."

"Anything you want man- anything at all."

I chuckled. "You seem to be confused as to who the trickster god is here. But you are confused about a great number of things I sense... you may go."

The man got up, he avoided my eyes with his, turning to walk away. As he did, he still spoke. "Might I ask- why won't you do it? Just cause you won't attack world leaders?"

"He's not a world leader per se," I admitted. "But when it comes to that man-Frank- let me be frank." Frank chuckled again. "I am... I am a false god."

"Must have taken quite a bit to admit that."

"Not this time. For you see, there is one thing we false gods fear above all else."

"And that might be?"

"The real thing."