i. do you believe in love at first sight?

A LITTLE DEATH
i. DO YOU BELIEVE IN LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT?
NOW, FOR THE STAR OF THE EVENING...

IF THERE WAS ONE THING EVERYONE KNEW ABOUT STEVEN GRANT ROGERS, it was the fact he loved Mastani Oberoi with all his heart

IF THERE WAS ONE THING EVERYONE KNEW ABOUT STEVEN GRANT ROGERS, it was the fact he loved Mastani Oberoi with all his heart. Of course, the two had never crossed paths and Steve had only seen the woman on the silver screen, but it was enough for him to be unfathomably in complete adoration of the actress. He had seen every single one of her films ━━ even the ones where Mastani was on screen for the briefest of moments. Mastani Oberoi may be considered another face in the background to the vast world, but she would always be the star in the eyes of Steve Rogers.

When it was announced that Mastani would be the lead role in the Booker Conrad Wolff's upcoming movie, Dreamy Girl, the public had lost it. Critics predicted the movie would flop due to the actress' lack of experience and the harsh judgments received from the public about a woman of color being a lead in an American film, but Steve doubted it. His only grievance was that the movie's premiere (that was tonight) was only available to the elite of New York and the people that worked in the film industry. Steve, like every other regular person, would have to wait four weeks to be able to see the movie for himself. And, Mastani Oberoi wouldn't be in the same theater as him. If he could catch a glimpse of her, Steve Rogers could die happy. But, it was something out of his reach and that was enough to break his heart.

"I had a feeling I would find you here," the voice of James Buchanan Barnes, known mostly as Bucky to his friends, broke the serene silence Steve had surrounded himself with. He felt a clasp against his shoulder, hearing his friend whistle as he faced the view Steve had distracted himself with for the past hour. "It's dangerous up here, you know? One strong gust of wind and you'll be a splat on the floor."

Steve tore his eyes away from the gigantic billboard of Dreamy Girl and faced his best friend, having to glance up at him to get a good look. It was dark, but the billboard lights illuminated the rooftop they were on. Bucky wore a grin that reached his eyes and Steve struggled to return it.

"I thought you had a date?"

Steve had muttered softly as he returned his gaze to the billboard. It had been painted over and over again due to people constantly defacing it. However, Mastani's beauty still shined through.

Bucky mumbled something incoherent as he stared at the huge billboard. He had to admit that Mastani Oberoi was beautiful, but he would never say it out loud. After all, Bucky was aware of how much his best friend loved the girl. His eyes wandered to the military posters that hung below the billboard, urging people to join the military and protect America. It was the perfect place for Steve since he was able to stare at the girl of his dreams and be even more motivated to join the army. However, Bucky would do anything to keep Steve out of the bloody clutches of war.

"Buck?"

"Sorry, I was just thinking," Bucky mumbled as he snapped his attention back to his friend. He wore a small mischievous grin on his face and Steve wondered what was going through his mind. "I did have a date, but it wasn't really working out, so I ended things early."